• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chelsea to go with raw denim

snowbored

Reaction score
I have a pair of raw Nudies RRs I wear daily and am sort of tired of the black adidas superstars I usually rock with the jeans (although I love the look). So I'm looking for Chelseas to wear every day... decided on some charles tyrwhitt's since they are not so expensive that I'll wanna kill myself if I destroy them, and they seem pretty popular... but then I saw these CT distressed brown leather boots and am undecided between the two. Which would look better? I'm thinking the black are a bit too dressy for daily use with polos/buttondowns or even T's. How would the leather wear with daily wear, assuming I keep them away from rain/snow/salt and take care of them... would the leather age nicely? Anyone got pics? Any way I can get that distressed look out of the black Chelseas? Finally, there is a 100 dollar difference from CT's site if I pay in Euros vs Dollars... is this possible to do since I am in the US? Thanks!

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love the black CT Chelsea boots. Brown is nice too, though I'm less keen on that distressing. If you are looking for something more casual, you might want to consider Blundestones or Rossis, though I love the black CTs and would get them if I had that sort of shoe budget.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by snowbored
I have a pair of raw Nudies RRs I wear daily and am sort of tired of the black adidas superstars I usually rock with the jeans (although I love the look). So I'm looking for Chelseas to wear every day... decided on some charles tyrwhitt's since they are not so expensive that I'll wanna kill myself if I destroy them, and they seem pretty popular... but then I saw these CT distressed brown leather boots and am undecided between the two. Which would look better? I'm thinking the black are a bit too dressy for daily use with polos/buttondowns or even T's. How would the leather wear with daily wear, assuming I keep them away from rain/snow/salt and take care of them... would the leather age nicely? Anyone got pics? Any way I can get that distressed look out of the black Chelseas? Finally, there is a 100 dollar difference from CT's site if I pay in Euros vs Dollars... is this possible to do since I am in the US? Thanks!
Go brown for daily wear (unless your style is like jpgm's or something), though I'd prefer if the distressing were had through natural wear. As to the comment about paying in Euros is somewhat unintelligent. I dollar is worth less than the Euro... Thus, the number for the price in Euros will be less than the dollar but the value of both amounts will be the same. If the exchange doesn't match up, then call them up and request to pay with the updated exchange rate.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the Aussie dollar down 30% in the last two months, you can get almost any pair of RM Williams shipped to the US for under $250. I just paid $230 for made-to-order brown suede from bootsonline

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
For some reason when I saw this thread title I thought it was about Chelsea Clinton announcing she was going to wear raw denim for a political rally tonight.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Do they ship internationally?

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
For some reason when I saw this thread title I thought it was about Chelsea Clinton announcing she was going to wear raw denim for a political rally tonight.

Me too.

Does R.M. Williams rate a mention here?

jbm7777

Reaction score
I was looking at a chelsea too, although for about the same price or cheaper i'm going with R.M Williams. Thats all they do is boots. They have a proven track record that goes back forever and have the option of either leather or composite soles.

snowbored

Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
As to the comment about paying in Euros is somewhat unintelligent. I dollar is worth less than the Euro... Thus, the number for the price in Euros will be less than the dollar but the value of both amounts will be the same. If the exchange doesn't match up, then call them up and request to pay with the updated exchange rate.

The listed price is £129 (not euros my bad) on the european site, while on the US site it is at $305. With the current 1.6 exchange rate it is a difference of $100... thats why I asked how I could get around this.

Originally Posted by Dewey
With the Aussie dollar down 30% in the last two months, you can get almost any pair of RM Williams shipped to the US for under $250. I just paid $230 for made-to-order brown suede from bootsonline

Thanks for the heads up, I will end up going for the chestnut RMWs instead, found a nice pair at bootsonline that has a composite sole/heal for the winter weather (NY). I sorta like the block heal though which is a bit taller (I'm short and it sucks!) but it will add 3-4 weeks to the delivery
confused.gif

http://www.bootsonline.com.au/b543N.htm

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah they probably set the exchange rates before the economy shifts at the beginning of the season. Best thing to do try is calling them and asking why they're charging a rate that isn't close to the current rates, and offer that you'll be willing to purchase if it was more comparable to actual value of the pound. It's not a garauntee but bargaining never is anyhow. OR just wait longer until a bigger sale comes along.

Edit: Even better buy the RM Williams

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey

I just ordered a pair of RM Williams (Yearling in Chestnut) from aussiebushhats.com and paid about $186 including shipping to upstate NY.

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how do you guys size these boots though? coming from a UK and an Aussie retailer?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads