• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chelsea Leather Food

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody ever use Chelsea Leather Food or Dubbin on non-sporting, finer leathers? If so, what results?

My wife just picked up a pair of pebble-grain "riding" style boots, and wants to make them somewhat resistant to water. Rather than silicone them, I was thinking Biwell (but that darkens), so then I thought maybe the Chelsea . . .

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use avel & saphirs based products mainly and can recommend their "Ouraline" But I used to get tins and flasks of "Wren's", but think the brand went into Kiwi ... But they will probably be fine with any "dubbin" /grease. Alternately you could use a natural shoe polish ... (for a finer grained shoe) Dubbin has a long history as a military waterproofing goop, but was used on field boots, not parade boots. When i finished my post, I realized we had exactly the same number of posts. Congratulations on your 1371th post. Sir.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the info and the recognition . . . I'm one up on you now. ;-)

Percy Trimmer

Reaction score
I have used Chelsea Leather Food for years on fine dress shoes. Whenever I get a new pair - which is quite often - I give them a good covering of Chelsea for protection before wearing them - uppers and soles with particular attention to the stitching. I regularly apply it after that to the uppers where they crease naturally with use. I use it on shoes of all colours but notice it can have a very slight darkening affect on the lightest shades. I avoid neutral shoe polish because it can dry with a white deposit in the creases.

Chelsea Leather Food is not a dubbin. Dubbin is not suitable for dress shoes because you cannot polish them after applying it as you can after using Chelsea. In fact once shoes have been properly polished (or 'creamed') a few times the Chelsea actually enhances the shine.

CarlyWarly

Reaction score
I do exactly the same with new shoes, used to coat them with shoe polish to soak in but came across CLF and have used it for years ever since. Used on calf leather natural tan shoes after cleaning with saddle soap and allowing to dry. This then darkens and nourishes the leather when applied that can be buffed up if wanted but the natural look adds to the patina and natural look of the shoes. Although it darkens the leather on application it does eventually dry and the leather returns to its original lightness.

Leather does dry out with shoe polish, even the ones that manufacturers produce, eg Cheaney shoe polish.

Also apply similar method to leather steer hide brown / chestnut jackets, it is a fabulous product.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads