Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Chelsea boots

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fuuma, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Chelsea boots:Any advice on brands/where to find them at discount?

What about styling? What should I avoid/search for?

Thanks

2. Roy

Roy Senior member

I like the C&J Chelsea [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

I know Grenson has been mentioned ad nauseam as of late, but they make a really nice chelsea boot called the "Claude" (I used to hate chelsea boots, until I finally caved in and bought one from Bennie's). They go around ~$300 (160 or so pounds) on various websites, but if you have some time and/or luck you can get them from Bennie's at half that. My pair was a steal at $125, although I've been hung up on wearing them, as I always get weak-willed about the thought wearing out "nice" clothes/shoes.

4. Fuuma

"Bennies' is the person who'll get new grensons in jan/feb right? BTW what do you think of that, overpriced maybe?

5. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Overpriced, and who knows who made them. For a good deal, check out the Loake chelsea boots from Charles Tyrwhitt. With the 50% off new customer coupon, they are $107.50, which is a better deal than most in that price range. I am looking for some Grenson ones as well once the new shipment comes in. I like chelsea boots quite a bit, versatile IMO.

6. Fuuma

Drizzt, do you have the adress where I could get them? And how does the "new client 50%" works? Do you have to use a special code or do all new clients get this....

7. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

do a search for charles tyrwhitt on the forum, I know someone has posted the website for the 50% off before. You don't need any code.

8. WJTW

WJTW Well-Known Member

Slightly off-topic... how many types of boots are there? When is a boot called a 'chelsea' boot?

WJTW

9. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

A chelsea is usually a boot with the stretch material on the sides.

There are a lot of boot types.  Chukkas and other lace up boots, zip-ups, jodphurs and other buckle up boots, and chelseas are the usually main styles in a dress shoemakers range.

10. WJTW

WJTW Well-Known Member

Thanks. The reply really is fast. [​IMG] One more thing, though... why are soccer boota called boota, when, well, they do not look like one? Thanks, WJTW

11. Nonk

Nonk Senior member

Fuuma wrote
    Great, Â if you are going to a Star Trek convention. [​IMG]

12. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

Do you mean the below the ankle, cleated, soccer boots - such as adidas' copa mundial? (We called them spikes in my area - I wore the copa mundial way back then, before the spikes with the funny stuff on the tops came into the market) I think they're called boots because in the old days (pre WWII, I'm guessing) players wore boots with the spikes. Similar to football shoes. You get more ankle support, obviously, but less foot flexibility for dribbling, passing and kicking the ball.

13. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

http://www.yoox.com/item....FD17CD7 if that link works, check those out. Oops, just realized you were specifically looking for Chelseas. Oh well. They are quite nice anyway, and Costume National makes plenty of other great looking boots (some of them Chelsea I'm sure).