• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

greyinla

Reaction score
So will the current sale, BB chelsea boots w/ tax are about $330. RM Williams Craftsman, w/ shipping from Australia, about $235, much cheaper, but longer to ship and harder to return. Qualitywise, any reason to prefer one over the other?

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No contest on quality - RMWs are extremely well made. CTs are also excellent.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The RM Williams boots are great & a steal right now with the exchange rate. Try them first. I'd only order the BB if I was very risk-averse and not willing to guess my RM Williams size.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They're both well-made boots. The advantage of the BB is the ease/expense of return. Whether that's worth $100 is for you to decide. I tried four different pairs of RMWs at least before I settled on a size that worked.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RM Williams boots are a steal. Read Sator's excellent article. There are like four heels, six soles, twenty lasts and 7 different types of leather with different colours for each.

On top of that, nungar is an absolute legend. One of the best retailers I've dealt with. He can help you with sizing if you don't have a store nearby. It's best to call him, as he is a one man store.

They also do an insole as well, if you want. With so much flexibilty, I'll be getting four to five pairs, especially since they do a danite type over sole.

So yes, I think you'd be hardpressed to find better value for money. I'm going to find out if they could do a brown suede chukka and a light tan jhodpur.

epic

Reaction score
There are great deals to be had on eBay. I just picked up a BNWT pair of Craftsman Yearling shipped for $190!! They seem to have alot size choices too!!

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say there's another option for you - the Henry Baxter Classic from Baxter Boots in Goulburn, NSW, Australia. I think you'll find they're the equal--or close to it--to an R.M. Williams Craftsman boot, albeit with far less variety of styles and colours. Still, the quality is excellent, the Henry Baxter Classic is made by hand in their Goulburn factory, it's a whole cut boot, like the Craftsman, making it very rare indeed, with a Goodyear welted sole. Check 'em out at their site, they've been making boots since 1850 (pretty bare bones site, but some good info on their company and their boots):

http://www.baxterfootwear.com.au

They have plenty of other styles of boots, many of which are made in Asia, however. But, the Henry Baxter Classic is a fine alternative to a R.M. Williams Craftsman and cheaper as well. You can buy them either here or here. Thanks
smile.gif

header_01.jpg
header_02.jpg

henry_baxter%20(344%20x%20250).jpg

Frank Dirscherl
www.frankdirscherl.com

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can easily sell new RM williams for $200-225 if they don't fit. Not exactly a refund but close.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
They're both well-made boots. The advantage of the BB is the ease/expense of return. Whether that's worth $100 is for you to decide. I tried four different pairs of RMWs at least before I settled on a size that worked.
That's funny. I'm considering one last kick at the RMW can and it would also be my 4th size. What size did you end up with relative to what you consider your "regular" US size? lefty P.S. those Baxters look nice.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
P.S. those Baxters look nice.

I ordered mine online from Boots Australia. They arrived last week and fit perfectly (I'm a size 10.5). I can highly recommend the boots and the service from BA. I'm surprised more people here don't seem to know of Baxter Boots.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
That's funny. I'm considering one last kick at the RMW can and it would also be my 4th size.

What size did you end up with relative to what you consider your "regular" US size?

lefty

P.S. those Baxters look nice.

Lefty,
I'm a "long" 10.5 D. I'm close to NYC and I tried on RM Williams in 9.5 G (too short) and 10 G (too loose). With advice from Sator, I settled on 10 F (slightly narrow). My foot isn't narrow, but RM Williams seem to run a little wide anyway. It actually seemed a little loose until I put in some Dr. Scholl-type heel pads. In addition to making the boot much more comfortable, it provided perfect fit.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
I ordered mine online from Boots Australia. They arrived last week and fit perfectly (I'm a size 10.5). I can highly recommend the boots and the service from BA. I'm surprised more people here don't seem to know of Baxter Boots.

Given that all of your posts have been sbout these boots, me neither.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Given that all of your posts have been sbout these boots, me neither.

The truth will set you free.

Jack2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith

subtlety is your strong suit.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jack2000
subtlety is your strong suit.

???

I haven't seen any posts about Baxter boots here, apart from my own. They're a fine, small Australian company that produces superb quality boots. They deserve people's business as much as R.M. Williams.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics