• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chelsea boot - rustic - Vibram sole - good quality - wide. Which one?

psgermany

Reaction score
I am looking for a pair of Chelsea boots (or something similar). Never had them before, but thought, it might be a good thing just to slip-in easily.
They should be more on the rustic side then dress shoes. A rubber sole would be fine.

Stylewise I like Westwing Rancher, but the were to narrow for me. I also like RM WIlliams Gardener Commando. But they are not sold in Europe as far as I checked. As I live in Germany, it would be quite complicated and expensive to return them to Australia.

I also checked Langlitz Romeo. But the style is very, special.

My feet are 27,5 cm long (inner sole 28,5 cm). Width is 12 cm. Not sure if that is already wider or normal width.

Maybe someone has a tip for some nice Chelsea's?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you have experience buying shoes online, know your size, and you're not generally hard to fit, I find RM Williams to be really easy to size. I'm a 9D on the Brannock in US sizing. I took an 8G in their boots (G is the company's medium width). I bought three pairs of Craftsman boots from overseas and they all fit fine.

For CM-type clothing, I don't know if you can do better than RM Williams. It's just a very nice shape. For workwear, I wear all-black Blundstones 500s with vintage Lee trucker jackets, raw denim jeans, fisherman knits, and chore coats. Those can be found almost anywhere, I believe.

psgermany

Reaction score
If you have experience buying shoes online, know your size, and you're not generally hard to fit, I find RM Williams to be really easy to size. I'm a 9D on the Brannock in US sizing. I took an 8G in their boots (G is the company's medium width). I bought three pairs of Craftsman boots from overseas and they all fit fine.

For CM-type clothing, I don't know if you can do better than RM Williams. It's just a very nice shape. For workwear, I wear all-black Blundstones 500s with vintage Lee trucker jackets, raw denim jeans, fisherman knits, and chore coats. Those can be found almost anywhere, I believe.

The problem is that the sizes are so different depending on manufacturer and style.
Regarding the Blundstones I do not really like the soles, in my eyes they look a little plasticy. But beside of this, the Blundstones look very comfortable.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The problem is that the sizes are so different depending on manufacturer and style.
Regarding the Blundstones I do not really like the soles, in my eyes they look a little plasticy. But beside of this, the Blundstones look very comfortable.

Blundstones definitely don't fit if you have a more CM-type wardrobe.

There's an RM Williams thread here. You can consult them for sizing.

I've personally never had problems buying shoes online, but I know some people have.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree with Derek, RM Williams
Blundstone soles will crack and split within a few years. They are made in SE Asia of inferior materials including the top “leather”which won’t take a shine. I’m a fan of RM Williams. I believe they ship worldwide although the last pair I bought was when I still lived in the US; haven’t tried to order from here in Italy.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree with Derek, RM Williams

Blundstone soles will crack and split within a few years.

This is only if you don't wear the shoes for a long time. The company used to use a certain polyurethane that was prone to cracking if moisture wasn't pressed out (which would happen through walking). People who left them sitting in the closet for a long time found that the soles were prone to crumbling at some point. The company has since switched soles, but the rumor persists

It doesn't fit with a CM wardrobe or guys who read sites like Permanent Style (this is not an indictment of Permanent Style. But I don't know how else to describe this sort of online dresser). It's much more of a casual shoe. But I like it with workwear and some other casual outfits

Blundstones should not be shined because they're not meant to be worn in outfits that are supposed to have shiny shoes.

E6E70EA1-5336-4706-9ACB-55FEF41F33BD.jpeg
IMG_5136.jpg
47691254_2101935433183099_1256264379842571917_n.jpg
73420459_615188032348390_8546418633478816620_n.jpeg
david4.jpg
vCfIi2U.jpeg

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I’m glad to hear Blundstone has improved their sole. But from what I can see the top leather still seems cheap and dull. I suppose that could be a look, just not to my taste.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well I’m glad to hear Blundstone has improved their sole. But from what I can see the top leather still seems cheap and dull. I suppose that could be a look, just not to my taste.

Yes, but not all outfits are supposed to be worn with shiny shoes and a tipped fedora.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha indeed I wear vulcanized canvas sneakers often!

Smooth Operator

Reaction score
I am shipping around for a new Chelsea boots and only really tried RM Williams and they I look like a clown wearing their 9F which is my perfect size. Their boots looks a bit too rugged. I am looking for something more formal looking with round toe such as Carmina Inca Chelsea's. Please let me know if you have any experiences with both RM Williams and Carmina or any other brands you would suggest. Thanks in advance :)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am shipping around for a new Chelsea boots and only really tried RM Williams and they I look like a clown wearing their 9F which is my perfect size. Their boots looks a bit too rugged. I am looking for something more formal looking with round toe such as Carmina Inca Chelsea's. Please let me know if you have any experiences with both RM Williams and Carmina or any other brands you would suggest. Thanks in advance :)

RM Wiliams has different models. Did you try the Craftsman or the Gardener?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tried the signature craftsman which I believe is the slimmest one.

Yes, those are the dressier ones in the RM Williams' line.

I have three pairs of those. I don't have any experience with Carmina's Chelsea on the Inca last, but those are sleeker/ dressier than the Craftsman.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads