• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chelsea Boot Advice

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just get the Crocket and Jones from Barney's when the go on sale...note Barney's is US size. You get classic English Maker for under $300

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Left to Right RM Williams, Crocket and Jones(Barney's), Viberg and RM Williams(craftsman) - I still have the C&J and Viberg and a RM Williams(different color) The RM williams on the right was my favorite color but it did not fit

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Left to Right RM Williams, Crocket and Jones(Barney's), Viberg and RM Williams(craftsman) - I still have the C&J and Viberg and a RM Williams(different color) The RM williams on the right was my favorite color but it did not fit

Which ones feel the best on your feet?

Last edited:

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The RM Williams initially feels best due to softer sole and full cushioned footbed. Crocket & Jones probably second then the Viberg. I no longer have the RM Williams - I purchased a suede pair also but my wife said they looked too much like a cowboy boot.

Viberg is probably my favorite as it is like a tank and the extra heft to it fits better with my super casual wardrobe. Overall look though C&J is probably the winner as it is most classic IMHO.

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I decided to keep the burgundy ones I ordered from London and will be returning the brown Gordon Rush boots (or maybe exchange them for a pair of suede Wolverines)

And now I want these Varvatos boots but I probably won't be able to find them. All they have on their site are the artificially weathered Fleetwood boot. Ugh.

edit: On second look these just might be Fleetwoods. $700 tho...

chelsea-boots-gq-1015-05.jpg

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're still looking, I would consider RM williams carefully. There aren't many places to find them in the states to try on, but they are a great deal.

I am supposed to be in NYC this weekend. Isn't there a store in Manhattan

*runs to google*

peanutbutterjellychoo

Reaction score
@callen - I would strongly recommend the RM Williams Craftsman. It is one of the few remaining Chelsea boots in the world that only have one seam (i.e. it is a wholecut boot). Makes the boots really comfy and gives off a rugged yet dressy vibe. You can also check out the Kangaroo Craftsman. It is slightly more expensive but worth the few extra bucks.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good News: The name of this boot is Vintage Chelsea Boot

Bad News: It has been discontinued for a long time

Worse News: Another boot with the same name is being offered which will screw up google searches

Even Worser News: The new boot looks like this

F3096S1-Y298-229-B

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NEWSFLASH

I located a couple pairs of the out of production Varvatos boot. And they are still selling for full retail $698. So it looks like I'm going to take the advice of @Kahuna75 and go for the Barneys washed leather boots since they just went on sale today. They are made by an Italian company named Officine Creative

{EDIT}Just checked back and my size is gone. You snooze you lose

504068473_2_ShoeFrontQtr

Just get the Crocket and Jones from Barney's when the go on sale...note Barney's is US size. You get classic English Maker for under $300

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NEWSFLASH

I located a couple pairs of the out of production Varvatos boot. And they are still selling for full retail $698. So it looks like I'm going to take the advice of @Kahuna75 and go for the Barneys washed leather boots since they just went on sale today. They are made by an Italian company named Officine Creative

{EDIT}Just checked back and my size is gone. You snooze you lose

504068473_2_ShoeFrontQtr

Now I know I wear a 9.5/10 normally but I don't have a fat foot so on a whim I ordered the Barneys branded Officine Creative boots in brown in size 9 this past Tuesday. They came in not too long ago and they fit. There is a rubber section of the sole that is hidden that assists in grip. The leather feels like a higher grace of leather but the colour is so much richer and more complex(?) than the Gordon Rush boots that I returned. All in all a much better boot for only $200 (Officine Creative footwear are normally priced in the $600-$700 range)

Pictures to follow

Last edited:

powdermaniac

Reaction score
My experience on other forums has led me to be a firm believer in not starting new threads when a good one exists so hopefully this is the right place!

I am about ready to buy my first pair of Chelsea boots. I am having trouble deciding between leather and suede. Either would be some sort of medium brown. My other dress footwear are :

AE Carlyle Walnut
AE Leiden Weave Walnut
AE Park Ave Black
Cole Haan Reddish-brown captoe oxford
meermin dark brown Double Monk

then I have an old weathered paired of walnut AE derby’s I use when the weather is cruddy.

As you can see above what I don’t have is anything in suede. I also don’t have a Chelsea boot. I’m just wondering if my first Chelsea should be a suede one. Normally I would shy away from Suede as a first purchase but since I do have other leathers maybe it’s time? I should add the intended use will be with well fitted dress slacks, trousers, with shirts and ties +\- sweater, occasional blazer and very very occasional blue/brown suit (very rarely)

Pleasantly surprised and stoked on meermin quality so am 95% going that route in terms of company choice for the Chelsea in question.

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thomasbird

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads