• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chelsea Boot Advice

Bilko

Reaction score
I have the RM Williams Craftsmans in both black and chestnut with the chisel toe. They are undoubtedly the most comfortable shoes i have ever had. I wear them 3 days a week and they still look pretty much new two years down the line. I would highly recommend them. They also go with just about anything, be it jeans and a polo or shirt and trousers.

SummerofLove

Reaction score
Any sites you guys recommend for a good price on the RM Williams?

http://aussiebushhats.com.au/boots/rm-williams-craftsman-boots/rm-williams-craftsman-suede-b543s/

Was thinking about ordering from this Aussie sight. I live in the US so no customs fees under $800.00.

They are up for $500 on mrporter.

https://www.mrporter.com/en-us/prod...Ojw9mjhsyg1kCFQpLEFjn6uMbJE175OQ8waAu2v8P8HAQ

http://www.afarleycountryattire.co.uk/shop/rm-williams-suede-comfort-craftsman-boots-black/

http://www.ahume.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=1284&Colour=Black&image=2&CAT_ID=75#ImageAnchor

Also, what is sizing like? TTS or size down?

Some of my sizing:

Adidas/Nike Sneakers & Vans: TTS sz 12
Carmina Rain: 10 UK
Carmina Simpson 10.5 UK
Enzo Bonafe 946 Last 10 UK but can do 10.5 UK for loose fit
C&J Tetbury Chukka sz 10 UK E width

Last edited:

jcep

Reaction score
@callen and/or @SummerofLove much like David R, I'm a big fan of Chelseas so hoping some first hand experience will help you out. IMHO two of my favorites are:

1. The Lingfield from C&J
2. Chelsea on Simpson last from Carmina Shoemaker

Note that there are quite a few variations of both of these models and that if you like something that you can't find in stock, you can order via the MTO services for C&J and Carmina, respectively (at a cost). I encourage you both to visit www.carminashoemaker.com and check out their new customizer to get an idea for the options you might have (C&J offers customization too but it'll be done via a form so this is easier).

Specifics:
slim)
@callen , what aesthetic are you going for? While all the examples we've collectively suggested are Chelseas, the styles are varied and fit different purposes/preferences. I find that the upper material (type of leather/suede) sleekness of the last, and type sole have a significant impact on where in the spectrum, ranging from rugged to sleek, a certain boot will lie. This may sound obvious but I point it out because IMO these elements stand out quite a lot in a Chelsea since there are few elements to distract the eye (i.e. No medallions, buckles, laces, etc.). Thinking of the intended use for the boots will be helpful in helping you decide what your ideal pair may be. For example: 1) More dressy: Lingfield or Simpson last Chelsea in black calf with single width sole, 2) More outdoorsy C&J 3s or 5s in tough suede 3) Somewhere n between: C&J Cranfords (mine are black calf but have a red elastic and a dainite-like sole) or RM Williams

@SummerofLove check the below black suede C&J Lingfirlds at Barneys. These will match the desired modern/contemporary aesthetic but will do so at a perhaps superior quality level than that of the SL Wyatts. They are what I would get if I were you: http://www.barneys.com/product/crockett--26-jones-lingfield-chelsea-boots-504527351.html

Hope that helps you guys. Happy hunting.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of RM Williams Craftsman. They are as well made as I read, but the heel is quite a bit higher than a traditional English Chelsea. Almost an Australian Cowboy boot Chelsea. I actually had the heels lowered a tad.

@Grayland

Do you mind if I ask how much you shortened them and if you had a picture of the result?

I have a pair of Comfort Craftsmen that aren't measurably all that high (about and inch and a half I think) but they certainly feel much higher than any of my other boots.

BrooksLauren77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have the craftsman on the flat heel or the block heel? I own the Macquarie with a flat heel, and don't find it that high.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine have the flat heel. I can't for the life of me figure out why they feel high, but they do.

Rowland

Reaction score
Carmina has a very nice Chelsea in the Simpsom last.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Aldos are surprisingly easy on the eyes. They remind me of the Paul Smith Bertram boots that I was unable to find. I'm not a fan of rubber soles though but maybe they only have rubber inserts. You never know with Aldo though.

CROAVEN_28_RG.JPG

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So on a whim I ordered a pair of "inexpensive" Gordon Rush Zach chelsea boots from Nordstroms. They were originally $295 but are now on clearance (any time a Nordstroms item price end in .97 means that the item is on clearance). I'm not sure how they fit. I'm normally between a 9.5 and a 10, depending on the brand (except for Wolverine) so let's hope they fit because all they have left are an 8.5 and a 9. I should have them by next Wednesday

_13457195.jpg

_13457192.jpg

_13457197.jpg

_13457198.jpg

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well the slow boat from Chin...err...Italy came in tonight and the verdict is a definite maybe. They aren't bad. They look decent and feel pretty good on my feet. They do make my feet look semi boat like but I believe that is the nature of the beast. I do believe there will be a pair of R.M. Williams in my future.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well the Gordon Rush boots are still sitting in the box. Even for a cheapie boot I'm just not sold on them. I found these cheapies for under $100. I love burgundy colour but know nothing about the name. Has anyone had any experience with London based Paolo Vandini shoes?

Last edited:

jacksonkeeper

Reaction score
I see Gordon Rush all the time at Nordstrom - How's the company's reputation for shoe-making?

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see Gordon Rush all the time at Nordstrom - How's the company's reputation for shoe-making?

Hit or miss. I owned a pair of chukkas in the past and they served me well. I have heard bad stories about them as well. These are about 1/2 size too large so they are going back

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics