1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Chelsea Boot Advice

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by callen, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Lucido

Lucido Senior member

@Grayland

Do you mind if I ask how much you shortened them and if you had a picture of the result?

I have a pair of Comfort Craftsmen that aren't measurably all that high (about and inch and a half I think) but they certainly feel much higher than any of my other boots.

2. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Senior member

Do you guys have the craftsman on the flat heel or the block heel? I own the Macquarie with a flat heel, and don't find it that high.

3. Lucido

Lucido Senior member

Mine have the flat heel. I can't for the life of me figure out why they feel high, but they do.

4. Rowland

Rowland Well-Known Member

Carmina has a very nice Chelsea in the Simpsom last.

5. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Senior member

I can't compete with Reevesie but I own four pairs - recently did a blog post if you want to see a round up of my experiences, click below ...

2 people like this.
  6. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

The Aldos are surprisingly easy on the eyes. They remind me of the Paul Smith Bertram boots that I was unable to find. I'm not a fan of rubber soles though but maybe they only have rubber inserts. You never know with Aldo though.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  7. Rumpelstiltskin

So on a whim I ordered a pair of "inexpensive" Gordon Rush Zach chelsea boots from Nordstroms. They were originally $295 but are now on clearance (any time a Nordstroms item price end in .97 means that the item is on clearance). I'm not sure how they fit. I'm normally between a 9.5 and a 10, depending on the brand (except for Wolverine) so let's hope they fit because all they have left are an 8.5 and a 9. I should have them by next Wednesday

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  8. Rumpelstiltskin

Well the slow boat from Chin...err...Italy came in tonight and the verdict is a definite maybe. They aren't bad. They look decent and feel pretty good on my feet. They do make my feet look semi boat like but I believe that is the nature of the beast. I do believe there will be a pair of R.M. Williams in my future.

9. Rumpelstiltskin

Well the Gordon Rush boots are still sitting in the box. Even for a cheapie boot I'm just not sold on them. I found these cheapies for under $100. I love burgundy colour but know nothing about the name. Has anyone had any experience with London based Paolo Vandini shoes? [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  10. jacksonkeeper

jacksonkeeper Active Member

I see Gordon Rush all the time at Nordstrom - How's the company's reputation for shoe-making?

11. Rumpelstiltskin

Hit or miss. I owned a pair of chukkas in the past and they served me well. I have heard bad stories about them as well. These are about 1/2 size too large so they are going back

12. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Just get the Crocket and Jones from Barney's when the go on sale...note Barney's is US size. You get classic English Maker for under $300

13. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Left to Right RM Williams, Crocket and Jones(Barney's), Viberg and RM Williams(craftsman) - I still have the C&J and Viberg and a RM Williams(different color) The RM williams on the right was my favorite color but it did not fit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Rumpelstiltskin

Which ones feel the best on your feet?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  15. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

The RM Williams initially feels best due to softer sole and full cushioned footbed. Crocket & Jones probably second then the Viberg. I no longer have the RM Williams - I purchased a suede pair also but my wife said they looked too much like a cowboy boot.

Viberg is probably my favorite as it is like a tank and the extra heft to it fits better with my super casual wardrobe. Overall look though C&J is probably the winner as it is most classic IMHO.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  16. Rumpelstiltskin

I decided to keep the burgundy ones I ordered from London and will be returning the brown Gordon Rush boots (or maybe exchange them for a pair of suede Wolverines)

[​IMG]

And now I want these Varvatos boots but I probably won't be able to find them. All they have on their site are the artificially weathered Fleetwood boot. Ugh.

edit: On second look these just might be Fleetwoods. $700 tho...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  17. troika

troika Senior member

If you're still looking, I would consider RM williams carefully. There aren't many places to find them in the states to try on, but they are a great deal.

18. Rumpelstiltskin

I am supposed to be in NYC this weekend. Isn't there a store in Manhattan

*runs to google*

19. styc

styc Well-Known Member

@callen - I would strongly recommend the RM Williams Craftsman. It is one of the few remaining Chelsea boots in the world that only have one seam (i.e. it is a wholecut boot). Makes the boots really comfy and gives off a rugged yet dressy vibe. You can also check out the Kangaroo Craftsman. It is slightly more expensive but worth the few extra bucks.

20. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Senior member

RMW Kangaroo leather is lovely but creases heavily. .