1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Chelsea/ ankle boots

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The_Foxx, Jul 17, 2003.

1. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

2. bryce330

bryce330 Senior member

Have you looked at Yoox yet? There's a pretty good variety of chelsea-type boots on there right now in the Fall/Winter section. I think the only Gucci boots they have are brown but they have some very nice Prada ($250-300) and Miu Miu ($150-180) styles in black.

3. naturlaut

naturlaut Senior member

I personally would never dream of getting a pair of Chealsea boots anywhere outside England.

Call up Dunhill for Poulsen Skone's version of the Chealsea boots which are made by Edward Green. Their original price is $695, but should be around $295 on sale now, and will guarantee last longer than any Gucci or Ferragamo. Cedar trees will be an additional $15 (only.). Too bad they are not boot trees.

The last is a rounder version of 808, kind of like 202 but not as pointed. (By the way, anyone here like the new last 888?)

There are others, but I think this is the best deal.

Naturlaut

4. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Naturlaut's Poulsen & Skone idea sounds great - if you can get a pair for $295 then go for it. I've been meaning to order a pair of R.M Williams Chelsea boots for some time. They come highly recommended. You can find them here: R.M. Williams Dress Boot According to a friend of mine the quality is absolutely tops and he says they arrived VERY quickly as well. For a bit less you can get them in kangaroo which is supposed to be the most elastic hide of all. At $190-$230 I wouldn't hesitate to try a pair. Perhaps Nick M could comment as it's likely that he's seen them before. Also, here are versions by: Crockett & Jones Grenson Trickers A friend of mine has a pair of the Grensons and he loves them. The shape of their toe is very nice.

5. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like the R.M. Williams Chelsea boot because it's the only wholecut model on the market. One piece of leather with just a seam at the back.This is a very wasteful and expensive way of cutting the uppers. Everybody else's models employ additional seams at the bottom end of the elastic. Williams has also a quite chunky toe, unlike some Italian numbers which can be quite p***elegant. But I suppose that's a matter of taste.

6. A Harris

Thanks for pointing that out . I hadn't noticed. As to the toe shape - which model or models are you referring to? They have a variety of toe shapes. Is the toe on the dress boots still chunky? I've only seen pictures so I can't comment on this. You can see the different models here

7. A Harris

I was just looking at the site selling the R.M. Williams boots again. The have pictures of the different toe shapes, heel shapes and leather colors that are very helpful. They also have a made-to-order service and there is no mention of an extra charge.

8. GQ Lawyer

GQ Lawyer Senior member

I have a pair of pointed toed Bally chelsea boots. I absolutely love them.

9. timekeeping

timekeeping Well-Known Member

RM Williams are very popular among Australians. Many wear them with suits at work.

As bengal-stripe said, the whole cut is a rather elaborate construction but it ensure comfort. The seam in the bottom can sometimes rub against the foot and cause irration.

I have a pair of the craftsmen model from factory seconds in chestnut colour and can't be happier. They ain't Paulson Skone or Edward Green but still quite nice and causal.

I believe RM, like Allen Edmonds, offer a re-crafting service. I have not had the chance to try it out yet but they have a reputation of standing by their products.

10. itzamazing

itzamazing Senior member

Barneys NY (The NYC location) is having their summer sale right now (up to 75% off). I went today and saw a great pair of Ferragamo shoes similar to the ones that you are interested, originally $400 something marked down to $210. Too bad my size was gone.
    You may have some luck there as many of their shoes, clothes and bags are marked down heavily right now.

11. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

best deal i've found is $300, incl shipping, for crockett and jones chelsea boots (www.plal.com) anything beat that?

12. naturlaut

naturlaut Senior member

I think there are others who make a whotecut Chealsea --- can't think of which one off my head, but there are. Also, I think there's a reason why there is a seam under the elastic.

Naturlaut

13. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Senior member

Thanks to this thread, I have decided to place an order with RM Williams for the buckle boot in brown kangaroo.

14. ulf

ulf Well-Known Member

I used to have a great pair of RM Williams, had them for 8 years I think. They were getting worn so I threw them away when I was moving to another country...

Just treat them with care and they will look good and last for a long time.

15. ulf

ulf Well-Known Member

Did you notice that they have quite a few models out there? They've been around for some decades and can provide anything from dressy to rain forest, I suppose.

I certainly never bought anything chunky from them.

16. juliank

juliank Senior member

I was thinking of purchasing some Grenson Arthur's in black for my first pair of Chelsea boots. Does anyone have any experience with these ? They are currently 240 dollars plus shipping. Is that a fair price ? http://www.pediwear.co.uk/grenson/products/3465.php Just to give some background I did go look at the RM Williams boots here in SF and tried them on. They are fine boots, but they weren't for me. Any recommendations ?