• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheese 101

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Okay, so I've been trying out different kinds of cheese this past year. Actually I can't remember half of those I've tasted, and I'm not even sure if what I'm buying is actually good. I'm not talking about processed cheese, but those in delis and specialty shops. Can anyone guide me on the basics of cheese? Thanks guys.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Okay, so I've been trying out different kinds of cheese this past year. Actually I can't remember half of those I've tasted, and I'm not even sure if what I'm buying is actually good. I'm not talking about processed cheese, but those in delis and specialty shops. Can anyone guide me on the basics of cheese? Thanks guys.

Another good choice depends on where you live and if you have cheese shops nearby, because they always want to talk and share info and samples with you. And others, like Andrew's in Santa Monica, offer social events to help people learn more about cheese.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
IMO, the more mold, usually the better it is. Also, the older it is, the better it is. And try stuff other than just cow's milk cheese.

It's one of those taste things. There's nothing objective. Some of my favs though, are aged Gouda from the Beemster region (the cows' milk is special due to local diet), various blue cheeses, and the creamy soft spreadable ones.

I don't know if www.igourmet.com will ship to your location acidic, but I am a fan of the place.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
actually, my idea would be that you don't need to know about cheeses, you need to know about cheeses that are available to you. it isn't going to do you good to learn about specific cheeses that you can't buy outside of france or wisonsin.

find a cheese merchant that you like, and ask for recomendations.

I like moldy cheeses, myself. right now my favorite are yellow/orange moldy cheeses. I ususally have about 10-12 cheeses at home, pretty evenly split between hard, soft and medium, sheep goat and cow, modly and not, white, yellow and orange, new and old (I always have a few 3-5 year old dutchcheeses)

I have gotten into eating cheese with a little honey and a slices apple or pear.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite way to taste cheese is in an omelette. It helps to differentiate between good melters, fat contents, etc.

Well, actually, I just like to eat cheese. I might go buy some right now.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I have gotten into eating cheese with a little honey and a slices apple or pear.

At least twice a month, we'll make our mid-day meal one based around cheese. Usually, we'll either make some sort of artisnal bread, or if we're being lazy, pick something up at the local bakery. Foie gras (surprise, surprise!) is usually there, as well as some nuts, a sliced fruit, sometimes a spread or tampanade, some good extra virgin OO or thick, luscious balsamic, maybe a melon like a catalope, could be some charcuterie, and always a good bottle of wine.

I think GT makes a good point. No use getting deeply into a cheese you can't get. Find out what you can get locally.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
PLEASE GOD, I BEG YOU TO EDIT THIS OUT!!!

See above.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^see above.
lol8[1].gif

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There should be some good information on this website. I am lucky to have lived pretty close to this shop which I believe had the first commercial cave in the US.

Here is the link to their site as they ship as well. The 'Travelogues' section is pretty interesting.

http://www.formaggiokitchen.com/shop/

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
At least twice a month, we'll make our mid-day meal one based around cheese. Usually, we'll either make some sort of artisnal bread, or if we're being lazy, pick something up at the local bakery. Foie gras (surprise, surprise!) is usually there, as well as some nuts, a sliced fruit, sometimes a spread or tampanade, some good extra virgin OO or thick, luscious balsamic, maybe a melon like a catalope, could be some charcuterie, and always a good bottle of wine.

I think GT makes a good point. No use getting deeply into a cheese you can't get. Find out what you can get locally.

yeah, I am really big on olive oil, honey, balsamic, charcuterie, cheese and fruit spreads (jams but also the mediteranian stuff that they sometimes call "fruit molasis"). it took me a while to get used to cutting out the bread with it, but I have.

this is probrably my dinner 2-3 nights a week when I am home. the flavors are intense, and lend themselves to eating slowly. often I will have a protien shake at about 6 pm, then at 8 have a small plate of cheese and/or ham/salami etc.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how can you guys keep cheese in the house? I eat it too quickly...

I always have some cheddar for sandwiches and omlettes. From there we usually have some blues, soft herby goats, etc, etc...

I'm also liking halloumi these days.

K

Lucky7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
how can you guys keep cheese in the house? I eat it too quickly...

K

I swear the INSTANT I get back from my local specialty shop it's gone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads