• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheers, (closing email statements)

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on this closing line in emails? What alternatives do you use?

I find myself using it regularly, but I feel like a douche or something when I do use it because I'm not Australian, I never say it IRL, and it just seems totally cliche. Just like how I hate myself just a bit because I don't have a nice pair of black shoes and resort to wearing sketchers-style lace ups or kenneth-cole squared-toes in my business-casual office.

I use it in instances where you don't have a reason to thank the recipient (e.g. you are providing information and not them to you), and where it's too casual to say 'Regards.' Or if its out of context to say "let me know if you have any questions."

It's too cheesy to say "best wishes" or "have a nice day."

And you don't just want to end it off abruptly with your name.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks a lot, have a nice day and best wishes to you! Don't hesitate to reply if you have any additional questions, I'd be happy to answer. Regards,
-nick.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unless it's to a customer, I don't use any. Email is not really formal enough for me to care.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to work in tech support via e-mail. The consensus that the most useful closing for us was "I hope that helps" in cases where we fix something, "let us know if you need anything else" in cases where we don't necessarily perform tech support, and "regards" when the customer was an ass hole.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't use any particular closing.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Varies for me.

Thanks,
Best,
Regards,
******* ass,

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use "Best," a lot

Cheers also, but I live in the UK

K

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I use "cheers" in most informal signoffs, including those to business associates with whom I am close. "Best regards" goes on more formal notes, and occasionally I use "Warm regards" or "Warmest regards" for international correspondence.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I use "sincerely yours' often, even if I'm not sincere at all.

Sincerely,
Acid

overdog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
I use "sincerely yours' often, even if I'm not sincere at all. Sincerely, Acid
I love reading letters that opposing lawyers write to each other. They'll make the nastiest accusations to each other and stop just short of calling each other liars, and then end with "Yours truly," xx.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
This is pretty good, IMO: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...05&postcount=1

All thanks
smile.gif
(kiss)

You should try that one out, sonick.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use "Good Day!", usually because I'm upbraiding some poor schlub and need an emphatic and ironically courteous sign-off.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Best/All The Best and Thanks, when applicable, have always worked for me. Though I use Cheers quite often as well, and I'm American. I have quite a few American friends who use Cheers, so I never thought it odd to do so in the first place.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
May you remain a member of the filthy underclass,
Conne

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics