• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheek Kissing

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
I don't think my social circle is that out of norm for an urban one, but the majority of people either have deep overseas roots or were born abroad or lived abroad, etc.

So a lot of that **** goes on. Not between guys, although it might have happened once or twice..

Now that I think about it, for us it's usually 1 or 2 kisses with a girl, or handshake+half-hug with a guy.

Well if they're actually from cultures where this is the norm, and they want to continue with it, have at it. Maybe I should've clarified that for cornfed sorority girls, and other similarly born and bred in American culture that are clearly reaching for some affected particle of European elegance that they saw in The Devil Wears Prada, it's ridiculous.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two in the pink, one in the stink.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Errr, if you were educated to use kissing do it but air kissing is some weak ****, just shake hands I won't mind. Oh and the one kiss thing is also weak sauce, who the **** does that. Now Russians they're on some hardcore **** so you gotta keep the Boris of the world at bay.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Errr, if you were educated to use kissing do it but air kissing is some weak ****, just shake hands I won't mind. Oh and the one kiss thing is also weak sauce, who the **** does that. Now Russians they're on some hardcore **** so you gotta keep the Boris of the world at bay.

I think with russians it's only appropriate between men when you're older or when you're drinking heavily.

At least that's been my experience.

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me it is normal to cheek kiss female acquaintances twice.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As well as just being curteous, it's said to be a means of releasing the sexual tension pent up throughout the night. I don't usually initiate, depends if I know them well or not. I've found that in western culture you don't actually kiss their cheek, it's an air kiss.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here 3 kisses are the norm between male & females, if you are friends or just met and have talked for more than 5 minutes. Mostly at goodbeyes. Some of my guy friends give or recieve it at birthdays. Always a bit awkward. I guess that is what makes it fun. Three is much though if there are alot of women.

Artigas

Reaction score
In my mother's home country, Uruguay, it's usually one, guy/girl or guy/guy, and personal closeness doesn't matter. For good friends you haven't seen in a long time, two or three.

This made meeting a passel of relatives for the first time since I was three a somewhat awkward prospect, but I got used to it.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I kiss my ladyfriends on the cheek every once in a while. After I feed them alcohol all night, I cockslap them on both cheeks for a while.
rimshot.gif

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I kiss my boyfriends on the cheek every once in a while. After I feed them alcohol all night, I cockslap them on both cheeks for a while.

rimshot.gif

fixed

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
can't do that to Chinese ladies, they feel too awkward doing that imo... perhaps its because when i initiate the kissing, my eyes are wide open and i have my evil grin on.

Liam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
I usually cheek-kiss females upon greeting them, one on each cheek.

Do you guys employ a similar technique or is it just me?
eh.gif

No, hugs only and only if I know them. Otherwise a smile and hello with a handshake.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
It's not my policy, but i know a lot of hispanic girls, so i'm really used to it. It's usually just one kiss on the cheek though where we both do it at the same time. I actually, just kiss the cheek but some people do the whole just press the cheek up against your cheek.

Variations can lead to trouble. If a girl goes to actually kiss your cheek and you just put your face up to her's, she could accidentally kiss your ear/hair or it just be awkward. I've accidentally kiss a girl's head once because of miscommunication in greeting kisses.

I actually do the kiss because i don't want to offend. If you're greeting an older hispanic lady and she does the kiss cheek thing, just lightly kiss the cheek as she does. Don't be rude

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been trying to figure this out for quite a while now. Born in the US, but I live in Latin America, and I screw up at times. I think the women expect the guy to go more of the distance, and sometimes I expect to meet them halfway. That is awkward. Also, some girls go for two. Most only go for one. So I always get thrown off by that. I'm guessing after 10 years or so, I'll finally have the basics figured out and only seem mildly foreign instead of from another planet.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My left cheek to their right, opposite cheek and then left again. This is how my French friends in Paris taught me. In Manila, it's both cheeks only, still have that Spanish colonial tradition. Here in the U.S. only with friends ( both male and female ) who would understand. In India, NEVER!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads