Cheek Kissing

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Neo_Version 7, Mar 25, 2009.

1. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

I usually cheek-kiss females upon greeting them, one on each cheek.

Do you guys employ a similar technique or is it just me? [​IMG]

why just women? it is a standard greeting between men as well.

2. registrar1900

registrar1900 Well-Known Member

People at my girlfriend's school (a very small, wealthy liberal arts college) do this a lot, and I generally find it pretentious and affected. Doubtlessly its because I'm too plebian and unsophisticated, or some such rot.

French, Belgians, and I think maybe Italians do this as well, but to both men and women. It can definitely be awkward when you're caught off guard and a guy does it.

This is one of those cultural differences that doesn't always translate. Heck, growing up in a Chinese household in N.America I found many of the expressions of love/care amongst 'white' families outlandish.

I totally agree on the awkwardness of being caught off guard with the double cheek kiss from a guy. This happened after working with a vendor in Cannes for a trade show...we met up the next year for planning and were doing the round of kisses and Laurent did the double cheek on me. Worst part was he was doing the scruffy look and his beard was rough!

3. JoeWoah

JoeWoah Senior member

Hollywood for Ugly People... Washington, DC
    Worst part was he was doing the scruffy look and his beard was rough!

[​IMG]

poor guy.

4. lance konami

lance konami Senior member

People at my girlfriend's school (a very small, wealthy liberal arts college) do this a lot, and I generally find it pretentious and affected. Doubtlessly its because I'm too plebian and unsophisticated, or some such rot. French, Belgians, and I think maybe Italians do this as well, but to both men and women. It can definitely be awkward when you're caught off guard and a guy does it.
    Yeah, true. French, Belgians, Italians... Based on how mixed American culture is, and considering it generally isn't the norm here, I would say it's probably better to not do it, even with females. Unless of course you know them well enough to be on the same page. But yeah, I too find it looks incredibly pretentious and affected, especially when college students do it. But when you see how it's done in other European countries, Spain in particular, and how natural and fluid it is for them with everyone, male or female, then you realize how bad it looks (and feels) when other cultures try to do it where it isn't an established tradition. Americans are really particular when it comes to our personal space.

5. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I usually cheek-kiss females upon greeting them, one on each cheek.

Do you guys employ a similar technique or is it just me? [​IMG]

I used to do that a lot to girls I knew while in college. I kind of stopped now, but ocassionally I'll still do it, however only to women I know and not someone I just met. It seems very affected when done to strangers especially if you aren't European or Latin.

Wait...you say technique, does this mean it's a means for you try to pick up these women?

6. ysc

ysc Senior member

I wouldn't say it is just in Spain and France, although they are enthusiastic about it. We do this a lot in blighty and have for a while, although I will admit it is not everywhere and not all groups of people. It also tends to be just girl on girl, or guy on girl. Not this guy on guy that you get a fair bit on the continent.

7. JoeWoah

JoeWoah Senior member

Hollywood for Ugly People... Washington, DC
    Wait...you say technique, does this mean it's a means for you try to pick up these women?

No, Neo asks girls on the way to Brittney Spears concerts for cigs... oh wait. NM. [​IMG]

8. Ixelles

Ixelles Senior member

I wouldn't say it is just in Spain and France, although they are enthusiastic about it. We do this a lot in blighty and have for a while, although I will admit it is not everywhere and not all groups of people. It also tends to be just girl on girl, or guy on girl. Not this guy on guy that you get a fair bit on the continent.

^^A lot of my male Belgian or Dutch acquaintances give each other 2
    In Holland 3 is the norm
    Belgium 2 or 3

9. Modernist

Modernist Senior member

In Greece in general it's used as a greeting among good friends, especially among female friends or guy and girl. Not so common among guys, unless it's a special occasion, ie birthday, wedding, having returned from or leaving for a long trip or the army (military service is mandatory here), etc. It's a kiss upon each cheek.

Between a guy and a girl it's actually a hint sometimes to determine if there is any potential, depending on the intensity, duration and wetness of the kiss.

Besides the other nations mentioned here, some Eastern Europeans do it. They do the whole 3-kisses, holding each other by the arms thing. Always reminds me of old news footage from soviet parades and the way they used to kiss each other.

10. Brian278

Brian278 Senior member

This is a ridiculous thing to do in America. Giving a girl you know well that you don't see every day a (one) kiss on the cheek as a hello/goodbye often combine with the one-armed hug is normal (i.e.e with your buddy's girlfriend/wife) as you get older is appropriate, 2 kisses = pretentious wannabe European.

11. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

In Greece in general it's used as a greeting among good friends, especially among female friends or guy and girl. Not so common among guys, unless it's a special occasion, ie birthday, wedding, having returned from or leaving for a long trip or the army (military service is mandatory here), etc. It's a kiss upon each cheek.

Thank YOU!

Having grown up there, I don't think I've ever seen one guy cheek-kiss another guy. But then again, I didn't attend many weddings.

12. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

This is a ridiculous thing to do in America. Giving a girl you know well that you don't see every day a (one) kiss on the cheek as a hello/goodbye often combine with the one-armed hug is normal (i.e.e with your buddy's girlfriend/wife) as you get older is appropriate, 2 kisses = pretentious wannabe European.
    I don't think my social circle is that out of norm for an urban one, but the majority of people either have deep overseas roots or were born abroad or lived abroad, etc. So a lot of that shit goes on. Not between guys, although it might have happened once or twice.. Now that I think about it, for us it's usually 1 or 2 kisses with a girl, or handshake+half-hug with a guy.

13. briancl

briancl Senior member

Personally, I think everyone has gone overboard with the hugging and kissing and other social "norms".
    I see my family a few times a year, when we see each other, we hug, sure. I see my friends multiple times a week. I just don't see how this calls for the same kind of greeting. I don't need to physically embrace a friend and put my lips on their face every time we greet or part.

The handshake has gotten a bit out of control, too. If it's convenient or some kind of professional setting, I get it. However, when in a large group, let's all agree to do away with the greet/part line of handshaking. It seems silly to stand there waiting for everyone to get around to handshaking with everyone else.

There's more, of course, like the large group cheers where everyone tries to clink with everyone else, but I'll just leave it at that.

14. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

No.

And by technique, I don't actually plant my lips on their cheeks. More like a cheek bumping. Two cheek bumps and you're out. Simple as that.

15. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

It's a standard greeting for friends in Quebec. It's not actually a kiss, but just touching both cheeks, once on each side. Girl/girl or guy/girl, but never guy/guy (the French do this, however).