• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Check Sportcoat and other patterns

steveoly

Reaction score
I love the jacket but I always wear it with "safe" bets like a light blue shirt with a plain, or very minimally patterned, navy tie. Is the following combination Win, Fail, or somewhere in between? I'd like to think that two of the three are wearable together, but all three may be pushing it. In general, can striped shirts and check jackets be combined? Sorry for crappy pics.

-Steve

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by geoffmartin17
IMO the stripe on the shirt is too close in size/pattern to the black windowpane pattern, and looks a bit jarring.

Just my 2 cents

I agree. I have a jacket very much like this one and I find it easiest to pair with a shirt that has large checks (white with blue checks, a color found in the jacket). I sometimes wear a blue with white glen plaid, but that combination is risky IMO. A gingham check might work if the scale is very different from the checks on the jacket.

The challenge is avoiding a second pattern on a similarly small scale as the jacket, so the eyes don't shift focus from one pattern to the other and back.

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Squirrel
Needs a "solid" in my opinion.

I was going to say this too. I guess it doesnt really "need" it, but it really simplifies things in a good way. Three patterns is harder to do for a number of reasons. Not impossible, but hard.

steveoly

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback gents. I will tone it down a little. I had a feeling all three together would create a monster.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.