• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Check out this tie - and please help me match it

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw this Talbott BOC tie at Nordstrom for the first time about a month ago. I think at first I was repulsed but it has really grown on me and I almost bought about three times in the last month. Today I finally decided to take the plunge and picked it up. It is really narrow for a Talbott tie
inlove.gif
and has somewhat unique colors.

First of all, what do y'all think? Second, I am at a total loss as to what it will match. I'd really appreciate some advice.

Thanks!

tie2.jpg

tie1.jpg

FreedBird

Reaction score
Gorgeous tie, I love the color and design!!! I think it would look great with a white shirt that has a very thin moderately spaced light blue stripe or a solid teal shirt. A small light orange check might also might be interesting with this tie. Also plain white and light blue would be obvious good choices.

STYLE_ADDICT

Reaction score
1) Love the tie.

2) If I had purchased it, which I would, I would pair it with a light to medium blue textured shirt, cognac colored courdoroy blazer (I have a RL that I love), dark denim jeans, and brown shoes.

Good luck!

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a suit, Navy, Charcoal, and the various permutations in chalk stripes that are widely spaced.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Light Blue Shirt, Medium Grey Suit. Navy Suit is also fine.

If you really want I have a similarly colored tie (I used to have an almost identical tie) that I can show photos with.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tie has light blue and brownish and orangish tones.

Watermelon gingham shirt, (biggish gingham preferred)
Off white/ cream coloured linen suit (patch pockets i.e. Mr. Aldens on LL)
Green Madder/wool challis pocket square.
Dark Brown shoes

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
I see light blue, rust, several shades of brown, a sort of mauve, and a sort of burnt orange. You can chose to bring out any of those colors, or more than one!

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm...
First I must say that I really like the design - yet more for a pillow or some other luxorious accessoire made of silk.
One cannot pair it with a suit and a shirt the traditional way. I don't think it will look good with other conservative suit styles like a white shirt and a navy suit.
I'd rather wear this tie with a brown sportcoat (to repeat the brown tones that are in it) and raw denim (for the blue tones and to back up the somewhat informal look this tie conveys to me).

brlfvr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Sand
Hmm...
First I must say that I really like the design - yet more for a pillow or some other luxorious accessoire made of silk.
One cannot pair it with a suit and a shirt the traditional way. I don't think it will look good with other conservative suit styles like a white shirt and a navy suit.
I'd rather wear this tie with a brown sportcoat (to repeat the brown tones that are in it) and raw denim (for the blue tones and to back up the somewhat informal look this tie conveys to me).

I agree that it has a bit of an upholstery tinge to it. But disagree that it shouldn't be worn with a white/pale blue shirt and blue suit. This tie doesn't look informal to me.

Dracon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Sand
Hmm...

This.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore the tie with a suit this evening. It's hard to tell from the picture, but the shirt has light and darker blue stripes.
suit-1.jpg
(The suit is Belvest for Lanvin and the shirt is Canali Exclusive Collection from Bloomingdales.)

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The colors work well together. A tan suit will also work. You'll need to wear the tie a little more before you get a good knot - and I'm sure your significant other is not going to let you out of the house with your collar like that
smile.gif

blahblahblah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by overdog
Oooh...I like. It would go very well with a light blue shirt.

+ 1. Not fan of the pattern, but the colors will go *great* with a light blue

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics