• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

check out these Ltd edition Berluti's wholecuts

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Olga went to town on these...just look at the detail on those etchings (if you can call them that). One bad etch mistake and the shoe would have been ruined

in the category of shoe art (as opposed to something wearable), they are quite beautiful

history of this shoe:
"A good example is the Alessandro III Scalpel (from the Olga III series) pictured on this page. Intricately etched over both shoes are the contents of documents from the court of King Louis XV. Even his seal has been faithfully replicated. Couple the unique design with its fine stitching and the leather's classic Berluti finish, the Alessandro Scalpel III truly embodies everything Berluti is known for."

picture6.jpg

picture1.jpg

picture3.jpg

picture4.jpg

picture5.jpg

picture2.jpg

The Alessandro III Scalpel

Olga Berluti's 1992 refinement of the classic 3-hole lace-up escarpin shoes that were first designed in 1895 by her grand-uncle Alessandro spawned an entire line of the classic shoe, which she called La Club. Loyal customers and journalists fondly dubbed it "Olga I" in honour of the world's only prominent female bottier.

The Olga III line thus represents the culmination of Olga's devotion to both her work and her customers. Its shape has been honed to suit the trendy vigor of a younger audience, who require an outstanding shoe that compromises nothing in the way of style, functionality, comfort, and durability.

Formed of a single piece of leather stitched invisibly to the sole, the design has hardly changed in over 100 years but has slowly been adapted in minute ways to suit the more dynamic lifestyles of Berluti's 21st Century clientèle.

Critics of the brand point out that Berlutis are not welted in the traditional way. Yet it cannot be denied that Berluti pushes the boundaries of traditional shoemaking with its flair and flamboyance. They're not for everybody, but then again they don't purport to be.

A good example is the Alessandro III Scalpel (from the Olga III series) pictured on this page. Intricately etched over both shoes are the contents of documents from the court of King Louis XV. Even his seal has been faithfully replicated. Couple the unique design with its fine stitching and the leather's classic Berluti finish, the Alessandro Scalpel III truly embodies everything Berluti is known for.

article here

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
yes that shoe would be very hot , but from afar it looks like it got really scratched up or something or you didnt really finish polish job and left some streaks on.

the right shoe from afar looks like your foot got caught on the underside of an old metal work desk and you yanked out your foot causing some scrapes from the old shrapnel hanging from the underside

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think it'd be cooler if they were done on sneakers, not dress shoes.

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I like the Berlutis with the tiger on the side more.
eh.gif

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they fall in the category of art, and not wearable shoes, and as art I think they are cool and would love a pair without the writing

they are doing this etching thing with other leather products, too

these are being sold at Barney's in NY

PG_09304.5730_ZM1.jpg

PG_09302.5814_ZM1.jpg

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look better in photos than in person (I like shoes the other way around
laugh.gif
)

Actually I think it`s a pretty cool design, but would not want a pair. I don`t know what all that writing says, and I don`t want to be one of those people wearing stuff that says something funny (like the Japanese wearing t-shirts saying something weird in English, or the Americans wearing kanji characters that don`t make sense).

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal_1
they fall in the category of art, and not wearable shoes, and as art I think they are cool and would love a pair without the writing they are doing this etching thing with other leather products, too these are being sold at Barney's in NY
PG_09304.5730_ZM1.jpg

I actually like the looks of this type of thing. The leather has an attractive finish, and the object has a lot of visual interest. But I'd like it a lot more if the design appeared more deliberate. The random writing, and the way it runs off the edges, looks like Silly Putty has been put to a comic book. Maybe an old map design or an interesting pattern of circles and loops would be more to my taste.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What does those writings say anyway?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
You mean what it says about the owner? If so, something along the lines of: "I am a nouveau riche cad with more money than taste" You might as well have it tattooed across you forehead.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
I read that Berluti used some sort of document from one of the Bourbon Louis (but which one, I don't recall) as the template. Nevertheless, those things are completely hideous.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads