• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Check out the suit this guy got from Ravi

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
That's pretty ******* awesome. It gets the Jovan Stamp of Approval.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Although the wasp waist wasn't as accentuated as in the illustration. I do know that in the '20s up until the '50s some men wore corsets or rubber girdles in order to achieve that figure.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not bad at all for $300 or so dollars. Ravi might just be the cheapest guy around for mail order MTM suits.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting experiment! Certainly not a bad suit for mail order, is it?

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Another member pointed me in the direction of this Fedora Lounge thread when we were IMing about Asian and internet tailors

Its amazing!

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=7989

Hmm do I know who this member is?
tongue.gif

Lino

Reaction score
$300, and in ten days?! Does mycustomtailor do fused or canvased?

That seems almost too good. Though, I have seen mycustomtailor come up a number of times in shirt threads usually in mycustomtailor vs. Jantzen discussions.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
they will canvas for an additional fee.

ps - Ive never used them, but I remember that from a thread over at AAAC (where Ravi used to post occasionally)

Lino

Reaction score
So, it's really $300 for a fused MTM.

Still, not bad for that range.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lino
So, it's really $300 for a fused MTM.

Still, not bad for that range.

You could do canvassed for the same price he added Italian silk lining which is the same price.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just as an experiment, last night I tried out the mytailor Web site. I picked a simple sportcoat in linen, then selected canvassing and functional buttonholes. The initial cost was $165, or thereabouts, but the extras and shipping ($60 or so) would have run it up to more than $300. A bit pricey, considering the gamble involved and what you can get for that amount on eBay.

I can't say I understand the distinctions between their price points. Why are some suits significantly more expensive than others? I would hope you're getting something for the money, but what?

Also, count me among those who strongly dislike how the pictures are taken from other sites. They've got a couple of images from Brooks' winter offerings up now. I'd much rather just see pictures of the items they've made, even if the pictures are less polished.

Lino

Reaction score
So, are mycustomtailor and mytailor on about the same level?

P.S. someone really needs to either compile a list of all these resource (MTM, bespoke, etc.; measuring quality, construction, etc.) or a mechanism for doing a Zagat style survey (part survey, part wiki).

Lino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Just as an experiment, last night I tried out the mytailor Web site.

But the suit this thread is about is from mycustomtailor, not the same as mytailor.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
roofbest112oe.jpg

compared to
pattern5mj.jpg

This picture illustrates why I am wary of MTM. Through a fairly limited experience--two MTM tailors and a smattering of alterations tailors--I've found that stock jacket shapes are so far off from my body that there's no chance of adjusting them enough to get a "made for me" look. Take a look at the pulling that's happening around his fastened button. It's terrible! For all the fawning, and for as good a deal as he got, none of it is due to fit. We all know that most jackets OTR don't have enough waist suppression. For anything beyond an inch or two of additional suppression, the chest and hips require too much reshaping to look good. Even if the jacket waist measurement is correct or larger than it could be, you end up with pulling at the button that makes the jacket look too small, due to the incorrectly shaped chest, shoulders, and hips.

</rant, sorry
blush.gif
>

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lino
So, are mycustomtailor and mytailor on about the same level?

P.S. someone really needs to either compile a list of all these resource (MTM, bespoke, etc.; measuring quality, construction, etc.) or a mechanism for doing a Zagat style survey (part survey, part wiki).

Well, with mytailor.com you can't order a suit through the mail with self-measurement. If you want a suit from them you have to go to get measured by them during one of their US tours. With mycustomtailor.com you can measure yourself and order the whole suit online.

Personally, I have to agree DH. Measuring yourself involves quite a gamble and for $300 it may not be worth it unless you are impossible to fit OTR (though, this might also make it difficult to measure yourself). I've bought Hickey-Freeman, Corneliani, and Zegna off of ebay for less than that price. For a little more than $400 you can get a fully canvassed Hickey Freeman from the outlet stores. I've even seen Oxxford and Canali on ebay for around that price.

Though, I guess if you want to do what the guy from fedoralounge did and order a suit that's hard to find these days in a style that you really like, then this may be the way to get what you want without spending $1000+

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads