• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Check out some pics of my 80's hip hop photo shoot

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Model: My goofy ass friend
Camera: Rollei Vb

He was very colorful (red pants, raiders jacket, blue and red nike hi tops with purple laces, etc) but i wanted to do it in black and white to make it seem more "old school". I will shoot again in color however.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about the '80s hip hop scene, so I can't offer up much feeback in terms of authenticity.

The one comment I have, is that I think you need to work on prop placement. The boombox in the first picture does not look like it is in a "natural" position. The same can be said for the spray paint can in the third shot. They look to contrived in my opinion.

The second picture is spot on though.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those are some sick pics. You should get together a bunch of 80's outfits and make it into a coffee table book.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
I don't know much about the '80s hip hop scene, so I can't offer up much feeback in terms of authenticity.

The one comment I have, is that I think you need to work on prop placement. The boombox in the first picture does not look like it is in a "natural" position. The same can be said for the spray paint can in the third shot. They look to contrived in my opinion.

The second picture is spot on though.

I like how is head is inbetween the speakers though. Thanks for the feedback.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Those are some sick pics. You should get together a bunch of 80's outfits and make it into a coffee table book.

Thanks man. How bout include some legs on it so it can "become a coffee table!"

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i would have left out the spraycan in the first pic, and put the spraycan on its side and maybe ont he ground in the third pic

everything other than that is thumbsup

reminds me of the pics from

Back In The Days or Yes Yes Y'All

edit: raw denim?
laugh.gif
157687213001ss400sclzzzfv1.jpg

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come on, you don't know at least one black guy?

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag

Haha, trust me, this kid is all hip hop lyricist kid. He has great outfits for it anyway. Thanks for the feedback

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
we are very under represented.

Max

Reaction score
This looks slightly ridiculous. You don't just go out with a wal-mart spray can and a boombox. You go out with at least 5, and three of them should be spent and on the ground next to the dozens of other empty spray cans left from previous writers. They should be painted solid colors so the label on the can doesn't give them away as new.

Clearly this model does not work out 5x a week. That's cool, but you can pose and dress people in a way that doesn't highlight their stomach.

You're also shooting black and white, which needs to be taken into account when you choose backgrounds, models, and clothes. Right now he's just blending into the wall. If you're wedded to the idea of using this wall, you need darker or lighter clothes and better lighting on the model.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Max
This looks slightly ridiculous. You don't just go out with a wal-mart spray can and a boombox. You go out with at least 5, and three of them should be spent and on the ground next to the dozens of other empty spray cans left from previous writers. They should be painted solid colors so the label on the can doesn't give them away as new.

Clearly this model does not work out 5x a week. That's cool, but you can pose and dress people in a way that doesn't highlight their stomach.

i like the empty spray cans.. didn't think of that.. but that doesn't mean its the only option. The best part about him not working out 5 times a week is exactly that.. For that image, it's whatever.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads