Check out my find!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VMan, Apr 4, 2004.

1. VMan

VMan Senior member

Check out this Turnbull & Asser shirt I scored at a local thrift store for $4. Â Any idea what the normal retail price would be? Â The shirt had two small coffee stains on the front which came out easily with my Oxy-Clean treatment. Â It fits nicely too - rather slim (the H&K's I've tried were much fuller). [​IMG] Also, I got a nice 3-button houndstooth blazer by Jack Victor. Any idea if this is a quality piece? I've seen it advertised in GQ and Details, but I haven't heard anything of the quality. It is a silk/wool blend, fused (but fabric/construction seems decent), and made in Canada.

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

Oh, one more thing. The shirt looks a bit pink in the picture, but in actuality it is light purple or lavender. I am a little hesitant to wear it casually, but I like the color a lot for spring, plus it looks so nice.

3. gregory

gregory Senior member

Beautiful.

How successful have you been (i.e. is this your 10th time there before you found anything)?

4. VMan

VMan Senior member

Well, I try to go to at least 2-4 thrift stores each weekend. There are 5 'locations' to go to in my city, and each 'location' has two thrift stores in a 3-mile vicinity, so it makes it more productive to go. It's become a hobby. I go with my girlfriend, she likes the vintage t-shirts. You'd be amazed at the number of people there who buy strictly to resell on ebay(their carts are loaded with all different styles and sizes). I pick up a few things for myself, and if I come across a nice piece in a different size I'll pick it up for ebay. For myself and to resell, I only get things that are in good shape. Sometimes I'll grab a shirt that has dirt stains on the collar/cuffs if it's a really good label, because I've perfected a technique that removes the stain 75% of the time.

Here's a few things I've found:

- Last-season Canali sport coat, my size

- Burberry suits and sport coats

- Hugo Boss suits and sport coats

- Versace shirt

- Several Armani shirts

- Levi's Premium jeans

- Watches (Longines, Citizen, Seiko, Swiss Army)

- T&A shirts (I stupidly passed up a few last year before I knew how desirable they were)

- Jhane Barnes shirt

- Hugo Boss shirts

- Agnes B. dress shirt

There are many more that I can't recall at the moment. It's hit or miss, sometimes I'll come home with nothing, some times I'll come home with a lot of great designer items. Usually I'm able to find some mid-level shirts from Banana Republic or Express (still a good deal at $4 when they are in mint condition). I come across so many perfect-condition Polo RL, Kenneth Cole, Joseph Abboud, etc. shirts that it's not even funny. However, they tend not to fit well on me, and it's not really worth it to resell them.

Also, is Cerutti a decent label? I ran across about 5 (very good conditon) at a thrift store this weekend, priced at $8 each. They were made in the US, not Italy. Are they decent?

5. gregory

gregory Senior member

My father bought me a Cerruti shirt from China, which cost about $80 - $100. It looked great but wore rather quickly (it was a dark blue fabric). Having said that, I've seen Thailand and they have Cerruti Jeans there, which is of lesser quality. I've also seen Lacoste polo shirts in Thailand selling for US$40 (probably different manufacturing plant / quality e.g. may not have MOP buttons). I am referring to retail shops in a mall, not imitation stuff sold by stalls by the road. I do not know whether the quality of Cerruti is consistent across countries as they may have licensing agreements in some countries in which case they may be no better than Banana Republic/Gap.

6. VMan

VMan Senior member

Oops, should have said that I was talking about Cerutti suits/sport coats.

7. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Wow, major congratulations. My girlfriend is obsessed with vintage stuff, maybe I should tag along for some thrift store browsing [​IMG] What kind of places do you hit up? Salvation Army, or smaller church-run ones?

8. VMan

VMan Senior member

Thrift shopping is awesome - no shame in it. At first I was a little hesitant/embarassed to go and I didn't know what I'd find. Now, you can't tear me away. I go to Goodwill/Salvation Army/American Council of the Blind. I like Sal Armys the best, their stuff is the lowest price and they always have two of the tag colors (there are four tag colors total) 50% off. They also seem to have the most merchandise out at a time. Goodwill is nicer, but the items seem to be more expensive ($5.99 for a shirt...it's a good deal when it comes to Brioni, but for Banana Republic it's not worth it sometimes). ACB is okay, but they seem to have a low selection, and priced high ($15-$26 for suits/sport coats). However, when I first started getting into fashion I went to this one and scored a Canali sport coat. I had thought I heard the label was decent, so I picked it up. Unfortunately, I passed on two nice Brioni's (couldn't recall if the label was good, I was a fashion newbie) because I didn't want to risk the $15. That was a mistake. There is a church-run thrift store I keep meaning to check out, except it's 30 mins away and is only open Saturdays from 8-noon. I went once before I knew of all the good labels, and they had a lot of Jos A. Bank, Jones NY, and RL stuff. I should really check it out now that I know the better labels because their suits/sport coats are $5, and they have a whole rack of $1 suits.

9. FCS

FCS Senior member

Made in Montreal, and as you said, fused. Quality is probably about the same with Boss.

10. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Alas, my thrift rounds have not turned up anything nearly so desirable. So far I've mainly hit on ties. My first time through I picked up about a dozen ties for $1 each. Since then it's been slim pickins, though. The Salvation Army locally has taken to putting their price tags through the front of their ties, which often as not will leave a permanent hole in it. I intend to track down some consignment stores that carry men's clothing soon.

11. VMan

VMan Senior member

I don't know why Salvation Army uses such poor methods. They staple all price tags on, and that usually leaves small holes/snags on the suits and ties. At least the Goodwill uses the standard plastic 'stems' to attach tags.

12. VMan

VMan Senior member

Oh, and I haven't had particularily good success at Consignment Shops. I think the owners might get a little greedy and put the prices way too high. There are two I've been to:

1. $20 for used Dockers, $15 for K-Mart brand shirts from the early 90's. Unbelievable.

2. High-end consignment shop that has loads of women's stuff, good labels too (Dolce, Escada, Prada). They usually have 20-30 men's pieces. The shop owner told me that men usually do not get rid of their clothing, hence the limited selection. I've come across some Armani collezioni shirts from the late 80's/early 90's, but they priced them at $25. Definately overpriced.

13. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Good job VersaceMan.

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned on the board before. Oxy-Clean can work wonders, especially on stains of an organic origin. Make sure to test and unseen area first though.

14. kabert

kabert Senior member

I've found the best thrift stores are the ones in the really nice parts of town. It's to those that the local rich ladies often donate their deceased or divorced husband's clothes. I've gotten some great stuff -- beautiful bespoke blazers and overcoats, Lobb shoes, etc. All for ridiculously low prices.

15. VMan

VMan Senior member

I live about an hour and a half North of Chicago, and I have been meaning to check out some of the thrift stores that are close to the ritzy northern suburbs of Chicago. I just have to find the locations of some, but I bet I'd be able to get some nice finds there.