• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheapness... What people would and won't do to save a few bucks...

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Annoying, but better than the people who order an $18.99 entree then slap down a 20 when the bill comes, ignoring the tax/tip/shared appetizers/drinks.

Was tempted to pay for their round to get them to shut up, but since they had already paid I would have had to listen to them figure out how to distribute the cash, which would have been even more complicated since a few of them had already put in their share.
facepalm.gif

This is why most restaurants do an automatic tip on parties of 6 or more...no one wants to enforce making the cheap asshole pay their fair share of tax/ tip so the restaurant slaps a service charge to make sure the server gets paid.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate it when people are cheap. It's so embarrassing in my mind to care so much about so little that you'd go to the lenghts of inconveniencing yourself and others to save a few dollars. Nothing wrong with trying to get a good deal or buying things on sale etc. But I find that if you pay for your friends things, they tend to pay for things for you the next time. If they don't, then find new friends.

I'll come back from the bar with 3 beers for friends and I, and when my friend goes up to get another drink, he'll surely come back with one for me. That's the way things should work. I'm pretty sure I would call out any peer of mine if they were being too cheap.

If you have no money, don't go out. Unless someone else is willing to help you out, but pay your tips and don't argue about stupid ****.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Faded501s
I consider myself pretty frugal but not cheap by any means, but I HATE paying for cabs or parking...which is totally unavoidable in a place like downtown Chicago. It's the psychological thing of "what else could I use this money for" and "what am I really getting" that kills me to spend $25 for parking when I could just spend 20 minutes finding street parking, or $50 for a 10 mile cab ride when I could walk a few blocks and take the train for $2. In a larger group I usually end up throwing those values out the window though.

No way I would squeeze Fatboy and 4 others into a cab though.

laugh.gif
Yeah, if transit were operating by the time the clubs close, we would not mind taking the train back, but that isn't the case.

We are taking the train downtown going there, but since all transit is shut down by 12:30am, and we would be leaving by 2am, the cab is the only safe alternative.

As for the coupons, if you're with friends or family I'd say it's fine. But I wouldn't whip out the coupon on a date or for a business dinner.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I will wait for a bus rather than taking a cab so long as I'm not with someone or late in meeting someone. At a bar, I inevitably order a drink that's on happy-hour special.

I prefer to think of myself as "frugal" rather than "cheap."
smile.gif

yeah this is sensible money saving. that is nothing wrong with that.

lot of people though think that saving money is 'bottom line' valued over anything else: over hindrance/inconvenience, time, effort, and most unfortunately, at the cost to someone else

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have this old friend that doesn't bring out his wallet when we go out drinking. I never complained since we go a long way back and he's the type that can't hold a steady job for long. But what stopped the momentum for me is there were a couple of times he'd bring his girlfriend (btw, he's married) with him, so he could get his poon and I get to pay her drinks. wtf!

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
I have this old friend that doesn't bring out his wallet when we go out drinking. I never complained since we go a long way back and he's the type that can't hold a steady job for long. YUP I AGREE NO PROBLEM. But what stopped the momentum for me is there were a couple of times he'd bring his girlfriend (btw, he's married) with him, so he could get his poon and I get to pay her drinks. wtf! YES WTF I AGREE

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen people take all the sugar packets from the holder at a restaurant.

I also had a friend who would never reciprocate for anything. Once, my friend, his girlfriend, and myself were at a bar getting smashed. No big deal. After a few beers I had to take a leak. After returning from the bathroom three people started yelling at me and telling me we were trying to run out on the check. Of course I was stunned at the allegations and when I looked at our spot at the bar my friends had left leaving me stuck with the entire tab.

Needless to say I'm no longer friends with them.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
I've seen people take all the sugar packets from the holder at a restaurant.

all the coffee shops here (starbucks, coffee bean, etc..) have removed all artificial sweeteners like equal and splenda from the counter where you get sugar and napkins and you have to ask for them from the cashier or dude making your coffee.

bdbb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Really? I mean we aren't a bunch broke high school students going home from prom! He recently spent nearly $1k on a set of rims and tires for his car, and another $1k booking a vacation to the Mayan Riviera... Boggles my mind to think the lengths some people go through to save a few dollars.

$1k each for both of those items doesn't strike me as a high roller. In fact, that's about the LEAST you could get a set of tires and rims for, depending on the car.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdbb
$1k each for both of those items doesn't strike me as a high roller. In fact, that's about the LEAST you could get a set of tires and rims for, depending on the car.
Not relatively I guess (just a set of 16" rotas and cheap all seasons for an Integra), but if he can afford to drop $1k on something unnecessary, he can afford $30 for a cab for him and his gf.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
I once saw this on a list of Worst Pickup Lines: "Hey, um...I've got this coupon...and..."

Shamefully, I used to go with a hippie girl back in college who didn't shave her legs and she thought Friendly's was great food and the Olive Garden was the height of fancy eating. I didn't know any better at the time so I happily paid for the all-you-can-eat-soup-and-salad special in order to get some action. I'm really not very proud of myself.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Faded501s
I consider myself pretty frugal but not cheap by any means, but I HATE paying for ...parking.

I don't mind paying for street parking in Indy, but I can't bring myself to pay for garage parking downtown. In other cities such as Chicago, I park in the garages only, without any complaints.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Shamefully, I used to go with a hippie girl back in college who didn't shave her legs and she thought Friendly's was great food and the Olive Garden was the height of fancy eating. I didn't know any better at the time so I happily paid for the all-you-can-eat-soup-and-salad special in order to get some action. I'm really not very proud of myself.

What I wouldnt give to be able to take a ***** to the OG and have her think its the end all. I could be outta there in less than $30.

Originally Posted by JayJay
I don't mind paying for street parking in Indy, but I can't bring myself to pay for garage parking downtown. In other cities such as Chicago, I park in the garages only, without any complaints.

ima be in indy next weekend for the superbowl. Ther is a parking garage near the borders downtown that we used to go to the top off and just peg cars in the parking lot below us. Sorry if it was you

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
This doesn't sound horrible, except the hairy legs part, and the other possible hairy situations. Which really just sounds like a situation which is not optimal rather than horrible.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in a band, all the guys had real jobs

Drummer to bassist - "Remember that dollar you owe me?"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads