1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cheapness... What people would and won't do to save a few bucks...

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by sonick, Jan 29, 2010.

1. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

I have this old friend that doesn't bring out his wallet when we go out drinking. I never complained since we go a long way back and he's the type that can't hold a steady job for long. YUP I AGREE NO PROBLEM. But what stopped the momentum for me is there were a couple of times he'd bring his girlfriend (btw, he's married) with him, so he could get his poon and I get to pay her drinks. wtf! YES WTF I AGREE

2. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

I've seen people take all the sugar packets from the holder at a restaurant.

I also had a friend who would never reciprocate for anything. Once, my friend, his girlfriend, and myself were at a bar getting smashed. No big deal. After a few beers I had to take a leak. After returning from the bathroom three people started yelling at me and telling me we were trying to run out on the check. Of course I was stunned at the allegations and when I looked at our spot at the bar my friends had left leaving me stuck with the entire tab.

Needless to say I'm no longer friends with them.

3. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I've seen people take all the sugar packets from the holder at a restaurant.

all the coffee shops here (starbucks, coffee bean, etc..) have removed all artificial sweeteners like equal and splenda from the counter where you get sugar and napkins and you have to ask for them from the cashier or dude making your coffee.

4. bdbb

bdbb Senior member

Really? I mean we aren't a bunch broke high school students going home from prom! He recently spent nearly $1k on a set of rims and tires for his car, and another $1k booking a vacation to the Mayan Riviera... Boggles my mind to think the lengths some people go through to save a few dollars.

$1k each for both of those items doesn't strike me as a high roller. In fact, that's about the LEAST you could get a set of tires and rims for, depending on the car.

5. sonick

sonick Senior member

$1k each for both of those items doesn't strike me as a high roller. In fact, that's about the LEAST you could get a set of tires and rims for, depending on the car.
    Not relatively I guess (just a set of 16" rotas and cheap all seasons for an Integra), but if he can afford to drop $1k on something unnecessary, he can afford $30 for a cab for him and his gf.

6. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I once saw this on a list of Worst Pickup Lines: "Hey, um...I've got this coupon...and..."

Shamefully, I used to go with a hippie girl back in college who didn't shave her legs and she thought Friendly's was great food and the Olive Garden was the height of fancy eating. I didn't know any better at the time so I happily paid for the all-you-can-eat-soup-and-salad special in order to get some action. I'm really not very proud of myself.

7. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I consider myself pretty frugal but not cheap by any means, but I HATE paying for ...parking.

I don't mind paying for street parking in Indy, but I can't bring myself to pay for garage parking downtown. In other cities such as Chicago, I park in the garages only, without any complaints.

8. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

Shamefully, I used to go with a hippie girl back in college who didn't shave her legs and she thought Friendly's was great food and the Olive Garden was the height of fancy eating. I didn't know any better at the time so I happily paid for the all-you-can-eat-soup-and-salad special in order to get some action. I'm really not very proud of myself.

What I wouldnt give to be able to take a bitch to the OG and have her think its the end all. I could be outta there in less than $30.

I don't mind paying for street parking in Indy, but I can't bring myself to pay for garage parking downtown. In other cities such as Chicago, I park in the garages only, without any complaints.

ima be in indy next weekend for the superbowl. Ther is a parking garage near the borders downtown that we used to go to the top off and just peg cars in the parking lot below us. Sorry if it was you

9. Listi

Listi Senior member

This doesn't sound horrible, except the hairy legs part, and the other possible hairy situations. Which really just sounds like a situation which is not optimal rather than horrible.

10. willpower

willpower Senior member

I was in a band, all the guys had real jobs

Drummer to bassist - "Remember that dollar you owe me?"

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

This isn't quite the same, but I thought I'd share anyway.

My mom had/has this habit of saving all the little ketchup packets she gets - in the fridge. One week they were in Hawaii, they had a friend house-sitting, and she decided to do a bit of cleanup/refreshing. Mrs. T and I rather like her and so we came over to lend a hand in the clean-up.

I went through the fridge and threw out everything that was well past its expiry date (I'm talking YEARS past expiration), and also the crazy stupid little stuff, like the ketchup packets.

When we were done, the house was clean, tidy, everything was squared away. Mom was unhappy, especially about the ketchup packets, and she flew off the handle at her friend. When I heard about this I flew off the handle at my mom, telling her I threw out the ketchup, and how dare she bitch out her friend for doing a good deed! I understand frugality, but come on - they are far from destitute, and more to the point, they spend a lot of money on stupid crap anyway, why be so selective about where you pinch your pennies!

That year, for Christmas, I gave my mom a bottle of ketchup. Not like she didn't already have one.

12. dhc905

dhc905 Senior member

On a similar note, I've always been adverse to using "coupons" and such but recently it seems I won't do anything without getting a severe discount. My social activities nearly revolve around purchases from restaurant.com, groupon.com, goldstar.com, youswoop.com and hottix. The girl and I just finished 4 weeks of dance lessons for a total cost of $54 for both of us and tonight we'll have Gino's East for $10 (+tax & grat) followed by a private dance lesson and Swing party that cost $15. I'm just now looking at all of the certificates I've accumulated, from cooking classes to a cognac "class" to Haunted Tours of Chicago, etc., etc. that I'm almost wishing the winter was longer.

No way I would squeeze Fatboy and 4 others into a cab though.

Hilarious, I know exactly what groupons you've got and which one's you've used. If the cognac class is for drinks over dearborn (I had a wine and scotch tasting class there), it's actually quite a bit of fun. Bespoke cuisine was a lot of fun too (hope you got the groupon for that, it's normally $80/person, down to $40 via groupon).

Maybe we should go on a groupon double date, lol.

13. DukesofStratosphear

DukesofStratosphear Well-Known Member

I remember listening to a Virgin radio programme when they were discussing this very subject.

Someone called in to say that when his Dad visits the grocers to buy fresh vegetables, he scrapes, rubs and shakes every last bit of dirt off them before they're weighed. His reasoning? Less weight = money saved.

He must literally be saving a matter of pennies every dozen trips or so. [​IMG]

14. Listi

Listi Senior member

I remember listening to a Virgin radio programme when they were discussing this very subject.

Someone called in to say that when his Dad visits the grocers to buy fresh vegetables, he scrapes, rubs and shakes every last bit of dirt off them before they're weighed. His reasoning? Less weight = money saved.

He must literally be saving a matter of pennies every dozen trips or so. [​IMG]

I once told someone who was complaining about the price of apples that I always rip the stems out to save money. I don't, but they started doing it right there lol

15. ama

ama Senior member

That year, for Christmas, I gave my mom a bottle of ketchup. Not like she didn't already have one.

[​IMG]

16. DukesofStratosphear

DukesofStratosphear Well-Known Member

I once told someone who was complaining about the price of apples that I always rip the stems out to save money. I don't, but they started doing it right there lol

Ha ha! Excellent [​IMG]

17. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

So I was talking to my friend about planning a night downtown this weekend. We had five people, and cabs only fit 4, which means we'd have to split cabs.

I could tell he didn't like that idea from the beginning, but accepted it. He THEN requests that somebody split the cab he and his girlfriend are in (me and the other two guys are going stag), in order to save ~$10. I didn't dignify him with an answer.

THEN he suggests to bribe the cabbie $5 to squeeze us all into the cab. I should also mention one of the guys going is probably about 250lbs. [​IMG]

Really? I mean we aren't a bunch broke high school students going home from prom! He recently spent nearly $1k on a set of rims and tires for his car, and another $1k booking a vacation to the Mayan Riviera... Boggles my mind to think the lengths some people go through to save a few dollars.

I mean, I am not a big timer by any means, but some things are just not worth giving up my dignity or comfort to save a few dollars.

I will be patient and wait for something to go on sale before buying, but I won't wait 2 hours outside a store in the dead of winter to be the first in line to save money on an HDTV, nor will I waste 10 minutes waiting in a tangle of cars at a gas station to save a few cents per litre on my fill-up.

/end rant.

Ugh. I can't stand people like that. I can understand being frugal but one's gotta pay to play. If one can't afford drinks, a cab, or whatever, one has no business being there.

I will wait for a bus rather than taking a cab so long as I'm not with someone or late in meeting someone. At a bar, I inevitably order a drink that's on happy-hour special.

I prefer to think of myself as "frugal" rather than "cheap." [​IMG]

+11111

I have a Jewish friend who is both. It's embarrasing sometimes. Last week I acquiesced and ended up at a Diner (Diner food sux IMO) but he wanted to go there because it was less expensive than Appleby's. (It was late and these were our only two options) So, of course their cheap food wasn't very good and he chose to bitch about it. Well, one gets what one pays for! I'd rather pay little extra for what I prefer.

18. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

On a similar note, I've always been adverse to using "coupons" and such but recently it seems I won't do anything without getting a severe discount. My social activities nearly revolve around purchases from restaurant.com, groupon.com, goldstar.com, youswoop.com and hottix. The girl and I just finished 4 weeks of dance lessons for a total cost of $54 for both of us and tonight we'll have Gino's East for $10 (+tax & grat) followed by a private dance lesson and Swing party that cost $15. I'm just now looking at all of the certificates I've accumulated, from cooking classes to a cognac "class" to Haunted Tours of Chicago, etc., etc. that I'm almost wishing the winter was longer.

No way I would squeeze Fatboy and 4 others into a cab though.

wow, never heard of these. Any other special ones people know of for the los angeles area?

19. samus

samus Senior member

I have a Jewish friend who is both.

I'm not a member of the tribe of Israel, but was that really a necessary qualifier?

20. 05charley

05charley Senior member

My mom had/has this habit of saving all the little ketchup packets she gets - ......

Didn't you just publicly admit to drinking Boone's Farm? and create a thread about it? You can't possibly call anyone cheap now.

I did know a fellow in his 90's who went to McDonalds for breakfast so he could get the free coffee refills, read/steal the newspaper, and pocket a bunch of sugar packets. When he passed away, people cleaning out his house found dozens of plastic containers full of sugar packets.