• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cheapish suit

soundsgood

Reaction score
so I work in politics but I've been using a suit I stole from my brother for holiday parties and whatever else I need it for. I kinda need a suit of my own now.

Few hangups:
I seem to have disproportionately broader shoulders than the rest of my body, which is otherwise slimish, so the suits I try on at the stores usually come out on the chests when I rest my shoulders.

I'm young, so I don't have a lot of money to spend, I could manage 4-500 if it was a really nice suit, but I'd like to keep it cheaper.

I hate wearing cheap, boxy stuff. I live in NYC, so this is also going to be partly used to impress the ladies.

Any ideas of what for or where I should be looking? I'm pretty amateurish at suit shopping. Thanks.

Felix Krull

Reaction score
I would imagine in NYC there are dozens if not hundreds of stores at which you could find suits at your price point. With suits you get what you pay for, so if you go cheap you are going to get a shapeless, cheap suit. Still for $400 to $500, you could find some good quality suits discounted given that many retailers have holiday sales going on right now.

I am not an expert on RTW suits, particularly at the low end, however Austin Reed, Hart Schaffner and Marx, Lauren Ralph Lauren, and even Brooks Brothers have descent offerings in your range. I advise you to buy the most expensive suit your means permit. Few things look worse than a man in a poorly fitting suit because it will make you appear sloppy and unkept.

Given that you work in politics, I cannot imagine how you are able to make do with only the one suit you stole from your brother. Obviously, you are at the gopher/paper shuffler end of the ladder. If you want to raise up fast, raise up your wardrobe and soon it'll be your name on the yard signs instead of someone else's.

soundsgood

Reaction score
thanks, I checked those out and they were in the 6-800 dollar range, which is way out of my budget. Any other brands to check out? I prefer wider shoulder cuts, which have so far been hugo boss (italian). Any discount places to check out? I've tried some "athletic cuts" out, and they fit me well, but I wasn't very happy with the look, the buttons were way up and i looked like a football player. Also, no i'm not at the low end of the spectrum job wise
tounge.gif
, which is why I'm taking this fairly seriously.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could try Brooks' Fitzgerald or Regent cuts. Both are fairly slim and are often on sale for around $400 to $500. I'd recommend finding a good tailor to fit the sleeves, sides and back. It's a fairly cheap set of operations assuming the suit starts off generally fitting, and will greatly improve the look.

indy116

Reaction score
Yea, I was going to say to head down to the Brooks Brothers store on the 26th before 1PM and find something.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indy116
Yea, I was going to say to head down to the Brooks Brothers store on the 26th before 1PM and find something.

+1

or take a peak in our Buying and Selling section where there are some tremendous buys on high quality suits from our local SF citizens; Holdfast, Steven Avers and others

Dolle Dolf

Reaction score
Check out filene's basement. Just try on a lot of stuff.

soundsgood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Irond Will
You could try Brooks' Fitzgerald or Regent cuts. Both are fairly slim and are often on sale for around $400 to $500. I'd recommend finding a good tailor to fit the sleeves, sides and back. It's a fairly cheap set of operations assuming the suit starts off generally fitting, and will greatly improve the look.
Went to Brooks brothers really early today, tried on all the suits. My shoulders were too wide for a 44, that would otherwise fit me. The 46 was good shoulder wise, but too big otherwise, and the pants would have been huge. The guy told me I needed a European cut. I went to syms and tried on some hugo boss suits, and looked like a jackass. The shoulders were really padded and wide (i liked wide, but not all the padding), and everything else looked too slick and uh...european. Any suggestions for other types or suits or companies to check out? Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads