• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheapest Way to Furnish a Studio in Seattle

ektaylor

Reaction score
I moved into a new studio last night. Everything is great aside from not having any furniture (not including a blow up mattress, TV stand and a fold up chair).

How's craigslist in Seattle? I only really have experience using it in the Bay Area. There also seems to be much more of an Eames/HM/Danish/etc focus here than in CA.

To get to the point: how do I get MCM **** in my 7th floor apartment for cheap with a Rav4 and one pair of hands.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dumpster dive. Freecycle. Ask friends for old things.

That's how I did it.

Jayhawk1412

Reaction score
Craigslist in Seattle is actually pretty decent. I furnished a lot of my condo through buying craigslist items.

Also, going to garage sales in the Mercer Island area is a good idea too. Lots of rich people getting rid of stuff on the weekends over there.

ektaylor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jayhawk1412
Craigslist in Seattle is actually pretty decent. I furnished a lot of my condo through buying craigslist items.

Also, going to garage sales in the Mercer Island area is a good idea too. Lots of rich people getting rid of stuff on the weekends over there.

I work in Mercer Island--when I'm not working in Bellevue, of course. I'll keep my eye out for garage sales. Any suggestions on where to look? I'm still pretty new the area.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In NY and Paris there is always old furniture lying in the streets on garbage day. You could try just wandering around with an eye open.

And then there's IKEA.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
In NY and Paris there is always old furniture lying in the streets on garbage day. You could try just wandering around with an eye open.

And then there's IKEA.

I would leave furniture found on the sidewalk be. Bed bugs and all that; NOT worth it...

Ikea is a good place to go for inexpensive studio gear.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hit up the Redmond IKEA (I think its in that part of town... right?)

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
I would leave furniture found on the sidewalk be. Bed bugs and all that; NOT worth it...

Ikea is a good place to go for inexpensive studio gear.

Bedbugs don't live in wooden tables and chairs. The more real possibility is that it's just broken, but it's always worth taking a look.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Bedbugs don't live in wooden tables and chairs. The more real possibility is that it's just broken, but it's always worth taking a look.

True, but upholstered couches and the like can be a problem.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No Goodwills around those parts?

Jayhawk1412

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
Hit up the Redmond IKEA (I think its in that part of town... right?)
Nah, IKEA is actually in Renton/Tukwila area. Just head south on 405 and you'll run into it near Southcenter Mall. Other suggestions.... Cost Plus World Market has some cool stuff which is inexpensive. Pier One Imports is alright too. There is a Goodwill in Bellevue, I've been to it once a few years ago but you might get lucky. I live on Alki Beach and there's gonna be a ton of garage sales this weekend in my area. Also, Pike Place has cool pictures and stuff and theres some furniture stores down in that area too.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yard sales, estate sales, free **** on craigslist

ektaylor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
free **** on craigslist
Is this actually a good place to look? Am I getting rotted out couches, desks that have to be moved out of the 20th floor of a downtown office building, or a leftovers from my moneyed neighbors? I'll try the goodwill in Bellevue tomorrow at lunch. If I can find time in my schedule maybe I'll swing by Alki Beach--think it's worth waking up early for?

Jayhawk1412

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ektaylor
Is this actually a good place to look? Am I getting rotted out couches, desks that have to be moved out of the 20th floor of a downtown office building, or a leftovers from my moneyed neighbors?

I'll try the goodwill in Bellevue tomorrow at lunch. If I can find time in my schedule maybe I'll swing by Alki Beach--think it's worth waking up early for?

Well Alki is nice just a nice place to visit, and the garage sales are pretty good. But honestly, you're better off staying on Mercer Island and going to the garage sales in that area. You're living the the most expensive zip code in the state, and people travel from all over WA to go to the garage sales on Mercer Island. I can't personally vouch for them because I've never been, but I have heard really good things.

I picked up a Dania leather couch on Mercer Island that I saw on craigslist. It retailed for $1,100 and they sold it to me for $150. So its all about timing.

ektaylor

Reaction score
What do you guys think of a "second hand mattress"? Is this ever a good idea? Please advise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads