• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cheapest Way to Furnish a Studio in Seattle

ektaylor

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2008
Messages
497
Reaction score
0
I moved into a new studio last night. Everything is great aside from not having any furniture (not including a blow up mattress, TV stand and a fold up chair).

How's craigslist in Seattle? I only really have experience using it in the Bay Area. There also seems to be much more of an Eames/HM/Danish/etc focus here than in CA.

To get to the point: how do I get MCM shit in my 7th floor apartment for cheap with a Rav4 and one pair of hands.
 

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 21, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
303
Dumpster dive. Freecycle. Ask friends for old things.

That's how I did it.
 

Jayhawk1412

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2008
Messages
441
Reaction score
3
Craigslist in Seattle is actually pretty decent. I furnished a lot of my condo through buying craigslist items.

Also, going to garage sales in the Mercer Island area is a good idea too. Lots of rich people getting rid of stuff on the weekends over there.
 

ektaylor

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2008
Messages
497
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Jayhawk1412
Craigslist in Seattle is actually pretty decent. I furnished a lot of my condo through buying craigslist items.

Also, going to garage sales in the Mercer Island area is a good idea too. Lots of rich people getting rid of stuff on the weekends over there.


I work in Mercer Island--when I'm not working in Bellevue, of course. I'll keep my eye out for garage sales. Any suggestions on where to look? I'm still pretty new the area.
 

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2008
Messages
3,673
Reaction score
8
In NY and Paris there is always old furniture lying in the streets on garbage day. You could try just wandering around with an eye open.

And then there's IKEA.
 

whiteslashasian

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
11,916
Reaction score
1,974
Originally Posted by holymadness
In NY and Paris there is always old furniture lying in the streets on garbage day. You could try just wandering around with an eye open.

And then there's IKEA.


I would leave furniture found on the sidewalk be. Bed bugs and all that; NOT worth it...

Ikea is a good place to go for inexpensive studio gear.
 

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2006
Messages
3,681
Reaction score
6
Hit up the Redmond IKEA (I think its in that part of town... right?)
 

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2008
Messages
3,673
Reaction score
8
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
I would leave furniture found on the sidewalk be. Bed bugs and all that; NOT worth it...

Ikea is a good place to go for inexpensive studio gear.

Bedbugs don't live in wooden tables and chairs. The more real possibility is that it's just broken, but it's always worth taking a look.
 

whiteslashasian

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
11,916
Reaction score
1,974
Originally Posted by holymadness
Bedbugs don't live in wooden tables and chairs. The more real possibility is that it's just broken, but it's always worth taking a look.

True, but upholstered couches and the like can be a problem.
 

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2007
Messages
2,310
Reaction score
5
No Goodwills around those parts?
 

Jayhawk1412

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2008
Messages
441
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by ratboycom
Hit up the Redmond IKEA (I think its in that part of town... right?)
Nah, IKEA is actually in Renton/Tukwila area. Just head south on 405 and you'll run into it near Southcenter Mall. Other suggestions.... Cost Plus World Market has some cool stuff which is inexpensive. Pier One Imports is alright too. There is a Goodwill in Bellevue, I've been to it once a few years ago but you might get lucky. I live on Alki Beach and there's gonna be a ton of garage sales this weekend in my area. Also, Pike Place has cool pictures and stuff and theres some furniture stores down in that area too.
 

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
12,198
Reaction score
980
yard sales, estate sales, free shit on craigslist
 

ektaylor

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2008
Messages
497
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Jodum5
free shit on craigslist
Is this actually a good place to look? Am I getting rotted out couches, desks that have to be moved out of the 20th floor of a downtown office building, or a leftovers from my moneyed neighbors? I'll try the goodwill in Bellevue tomorrow at lunch. If I can find time in my schedule maybe I'll swing by Alki Beach--think it's worth waking up early for?
 

Jayhawk1412

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2008
Messages
441
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by ektaylor
Is this actually a good place to look? Am I getting rotted out couches, desks that have to be moved out of the 20th floor of a downtown office building, or a leftovers from my moneyed neighbors?

I'll try the goodwill in Bellevue tomorrow at lunch. If I can find time in my schedule maybe I'll swing by Alki Beach--think it's worth waking up early for?


Well Alki is nice just a nice place to visit, and the garage sales are pretty good. But honestly, you're better off staying on Mercer Island and going to the garage sales in that area. You're living the the most expensive zip code in the state, and people travel from all over WA to go to the garage sales on Mercer Island. I can't personally vouch for them because I've never been, but I have heard really good things.

I picked up a Dania leather couch on Mercer Island that I saw on craigslist. It retailed for $1,100 and they sold it to me for $150. So its all about timing.
 

ektaylor

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2008
Messages
497
Reaction score
0
What do you guys think of a "second hand mattress"? Is this ever a good idea? Please advise.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

  • I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

  • I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

  • I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

  • Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
438,749
Messages
9,457,318
Members
198,205
Latest member
Karl Maris
Top