• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaper Dry Denim

Garrett

Reaction score
Hi there,
Ive recently found some interest in high end denim (only 2 pairs of diesels...) and have stumbled upon this site. Its very helpful and a lot more classy then forums.mens.style.com.

Anyways, everyone here seems to be really into the whole dry denim thing (especially APC) and I would like to experiment with it a bit myself. Problem is I dont think im quite willing to drop $100+ for an "experiement". I'd like to find some nice slim fitting (preferably low rise, boot cut) dry denim in about the 60$ range... Is this a possibility? Is there any unwashed denim out there that's cheaper then APC?

As a side note, anyone know where to buy unwashed denim in the LA area?

Thanks.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cheapest dry denim that I have experience with is the Lee's dry selvedge Roscoe from their X-line... Here in Europe they run about Euro 75.... it should be cheaper in the States I think...

Other's have mentioned Gap for cheaper dry selvedge.

edit: The Lee Roscoe has a very similar fit to Nudie's RR... low waist, slight bootcut..

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just going to mention the Gap.

They're not on the website anymore, but some of the Gap stores may still be stocking dry denim.

Australia doesn't get the Gap, generally, but I understand that Kurabo, who supply denim for PDC and Earnest Sewn, also sell denim for use in the Gap's premium range.

There's also Uniqlo, a Japanese company who sell very inexpensive dry selvage jeans. J, the owner of this site, just brought back a whole stack of Uniqlo's from Japan for various members - if anyone defaults, I'm sure he'd sell a pair to you.

Another option is 'rinse' or 'one wash' denim - fairly dark and a little bit stiff, but not nearly as much as dry denim. Many Australian-made Levi's are made in rinse washes, and in addition to being cheaper, are almost as good at wearing-in dramatically as dry jeans are - provided you wash them sparingly.

Garrett

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
Ive never seen any dry denim at Gap as far as I can remember. Any idea what they call it so maybe I can do an ebay search?

Is there any way to order Uniqlo jeans on the internet? Even with the shipping cost's I'd imagine they would be cheaper.

sbbbjm

Reaction score
they don't sell dry denim at the gap in the US. APC's have been the cheapest (and most accessible; i live in tx) for me honestly. Â i ordered mine from the website last summer and they were $109 and for some reason they were having free shipping (and i guess i lucked out with the size cuz mine are fine). Â APC's won't dissappoint. for low rise bootcut, dry jeans (i'm assuming you want a more modern looking fit) i've seen some by Wrangler 47 (http://www.builtbywendy.com/onlinesh...ategory_id=264 -- there are some others there too) Nudie double RL (there were some selvage ones from their older line that pop on ebay sometimes) earnest sewn (they have it on their website but i havent found a store that sold them yet)

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think Uniqlo has everyone beat at 2900 yen on sale (about ~$27.50 or so right now), though I don't know how I feel about the fit of their selvage jeans. Unlike the Ring Denim pair and the linen pair the selvages have quite wide legs - they are probably cut much like vintage 501s or something. I am tossing around the idea of taking in the outseams of the legs before they get too broken in.

The only pesky detail is the plane ticket to Japan. And if you go, the Ueno stores are almost completely out of the selvage - try Shinjuku and then you can hit American Blvd right by there to check out all the Sugar Canes, Evisus and Levi's, etc.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They sell APC denim at the Hollywood Trading Company store on Beverly, and more expensive brands of dry selvedge denim at American Rag and the two Fred Segal outposts (West Hollywood and Santa Monica). There are other stores to be sure, but these are good starting points.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PC are cheap (in terms of $, but not quality) selvage, dry denim. Also, I saw levi's dry, selvage the other day on sale for $89 down from $110. The Levi's had a great indigo color/dye, better than APC or Nudie, but that is subjective I guess. These RRL dry, selvage jeans are the best I've seen. They use Japanese denim that has a very flat, tight weave to it. Even the coin pocket is selvage.

Brian SD

Reaction score
hmm. I dont like "flat, tight" weaves to be honest. I like mine uneven, very 3-dimensional and loose, actually. Exactly the opposite.
smile.gif
selvage in the coin pocket is a pretty popular thing amongst selvage jeans, I dont know why APC / Nudie dont do it.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what's 'RRL' stand for: Rugged Ralph Lauren?

sbbbjm

Reaction score
APC are cheap (in terms of $, but not quality) selvage, dry denim. Also, I saw levi's dry, selvage the other day on sale for $89 down from $110. The Levi's had a great indigo color/dye, better than APC or Nudie, but that is subjective I guess. Â Â These RRL dry, selvage jeans are the best I've seen. They use Japanese denim that has a very flat, tight weave to it. Even the coin pocket is selvage.
are you sure those are selvage and unwashed? i know 3 years ago they had a bootcut dry selvage one for sure bc i saw a couple on ebay but are these ones in the new line the same? for some reason i wanna say they look they were washed once and might just be dry denim.

Garrett

Reaction score
I went for it and got a pair of APCs. FYI they werent at the HTC on beverly, but WERE at the HTC in the santa monica fred segal.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
i just stopped by the HTC on Beverly and sho nuff they said all the APC stock went to the Santa Monica Fred Segal HTC

but they do have Nudie Slim Jims at the Beverly HTC which i hadnt seen before

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Mike C. @ June 04 2005,10:26) APC are cheap (in terms of $, but not quality) selvage, dry denim. Also, I saw levi's dry, selvage the other day on sale for $89 down from $110. The Levi's had a great indigo color/dye, better than APC or Nudie, but that is subjective I guess. These RRL dry, selvage jeans are the best I've seen. They use Japanese denim that has a very flat, tight weave to it. Even the coin pocket is selvage.
are you sure those are selvage and unwashed? i know 3 years ago they had a bootcut dry selvage one for sure bc i saw a couple on ebay but are these ones in the new line the same? for some reason i wanna say they look they were washed once and might just be dry denim.
Yes, I've seen this exact pair in the store. I have no idea why on the website they neglect to mention the selvage. Seems to me like it would be a key selling point.

sbbbjm

Reaction score
i went to the Ralph Lauren store here in Houston to see if they had Double RL but no such luck. . . . but if you were in the store recently and saw them i believe you, and i think i'm gonna snag me a pair. anyone know how they fit? they don't seem to carry them in a 31x32
huh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads