• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cheaper alternatives to hackett; gieves and hawkes?

Macallan

Reaction score
Both not only have sales, but also have outlet shops at Bicester Village.

What are you specifically looking for from the brands

rickstowe14

Reaction score
im not very familiar with that sort of gear but i suppose im looking to change my style to a bit more traditional so things like blazers and trousers but they are way out of my price range from hackett even in the sale, so i was wondering what would be something of an alternative and not something like topman that everyone wears.

something like the ensemble in the second picture on this page

http://www.apetogentleman.com/gieves-hawkes-house-colours-autumn-winter-2012/

also im assuming older collections are cheaper is there any sites that will sell old seasons?

thanks.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You really have to earn that look I think. Go and earn it.

mactire

Reaction score
im not very familiar with that sort of gear but i suppose im looking to change my style to a bit more traditional so things like blazers and trousers but they are way out of my price range from hackett even in the sale,

What is your budget? If you know your size in Hackett then keep an eye on ebay, stuff comes up all the time.

rickstowe14

Reaction score
I realize this might be abit unrealistic lol, im just kinda asking advice guys not really sure, but you must be able to get some nice blazers and sweaters that arent over expensive with abit of colour, like i said the one that springs to mind is topman lol, but i was hopin there may be some nicer brands that are relatively unknown at a cheaper price that some of the experts may know here that get that colourful gentleman look down, ones you wouldnt know if you werent really into your tailoring etc to a high level.

i noticed certain peices from cordings are relatively affordable, talking jackets ere and shirts are only 50 pound, any other ones like this?

Last edited:

blackadder

Reaction score
Jackets and trousers are sold by pretty much everyone, including highstreet retailers, so if you're on a budget you don't need to go with Gieves and Hawkes. Unless you spend a lot of time around people who wear top end clothes I think you would be better off finding classically styled, full cotton/wool pieces on the highstreet and then having them adjusted by a tailor. Provided you are not buying polyester junk the improved fit will creates a more significant improvement in appearance than the material or design at a comparatively modest price.

Charles Tyrwhitt (in the sale - ONLY in the sale) are a reasonably priced online brand with decent construction and the sort of styling you are after. Again, get the stuff adjusted by a tailor if it doesn't fit perfectly.

Getting a good overcoat for under £150 seems optimistic, though.

Last edited:

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Have there been any evaluations on this website about Gieves & Hawkes dress shirts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads