• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheap wine recs

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think I'm alone in my level of wine connoisseurship, in that I enjoy an occasional glass of wine, but am financially incapabable of plunking down $50 regularly; I'm more likely to drink $7 plonk.

Any forum members that would deign to make some 2005 recommendations on bottles under $15 that one might actually be able to track down?

Personally - and I am NO expert - I like:

- Rosemount - Shiraz - no special, single vineyard stuff, just v. drinkable, IMHO.
- Bonny Doon - Big House Red - ditto
- (Ruffino? unsure - yellow label with print and red writing - that's specific, right?) - Chianti - great with spaghetti and meatbawls. I've never tried the kind in the basket...
- BV Coastal - all varietals

- Estancia -  Pinot Grigio
- Whatever vineyard - "vinho verde" - very light portuguese white (heard it was popular table wine in america mid-century)

Feel free to tell me I'm a victim of wine marketing or otherwise a rube.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would check out Penfolds Bin 389, it's a nice cabernet shiraz, slightly more than what you mentioned, but you should be able to find it for $18, I quite like this stuff, very smooth, tastes a bit like a Cali cab, but rich and fruity.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, I did this under the worst conditions (I have a slight cold and was cooking a pungent dish that made the whole house smell like an Alsacian brasserie), but:

I tried the Leasingham Clare Valley (Australia) Magnus 2001 recommended by Johnapril on another thread.  When I first opened it, I thought it might end up in my sauce: heavy vinegar smell.  But I know better than to judge a wine right after opening it.  I let it sit for 5 minutes, swirled it in the glass, and slight tobacco aromas came through. I tasted, and thought the tannins to be well-balanced (a little under for my taste).  The only drawback is a slight metallic aftertaste. The tannins got stronger with time (I like that). Now, remember I have this cold.  If you want to know what it feels like to try to taste something while in my current position, pinch your nose and attempt to taste your food.

All in all, the price is pretty unbelievable for a wine of that quality.  I would only reproach them with the name.  But the label says it was the name of some solicitor.  A solicitor.  Who ever thought of naming a wine after a solicitor.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're ever around Philly or Wilmington DE, you might check out Moore Brothers (also on-line, though they don't ship). Greg Moore was the sommelier at Philly's Le Bec Fin for years, then went into the wine business. The shop has numerous excellent bottles in the $8-15 range. It's worth a trip.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought PALCB was the only seller of wines in PA?

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PALCB is still the only retailer in PA. Fortunately, the new chair has really improved the stores in the last few years. But we still drive over to Pennsauken NJ (10 mins from center city philly) to buy wine at Moore Brothers and other good shops. Call me tax cheat, what can I say? Greg has a great selection.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I heard PALCB had some pretty great deals on some items (Cakebread cabs, some others)

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for under 15 or right around it that I have tried and like...

Chateau Souverain Cab

Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chateau St. Michelle wines (cab, chardonnay, etc. -- for Washington State, I think) are uniformly decent wines, and reasonably priced, year in and year out.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chateau St. Michelle wines (cab, chardonnay, etc. -- for Washington State, I think) are uniformly decent wines, and reasonably priced, year in and year out.
True about the price, but I have been disappointed, so I don't even try any more. Which one(s) do you feel are the best bets?

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fabienne, the cabernet, both reserve and regular are reliably good IMO. The Cold Creek Vineyard line of Ch. St. Michelle is a step up as well. The Horse Heaven sauv. blanc is cheap and better than the usual "cat pee." For a long time I have had their chardonnay as my "house" white, but I'm beginning to tire of it -- not enough fruit and too much oak is my current thought.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fabienne, the cabernet, both reserve and regular are reliably good IMO.  The Cold Creek Vineyard line of Ch. St. Michelle is a step up as well.  The Horse Heaven sauv. blanc is cheap and better than the usual "cat pee."  For a long time I have had their chardonnay as my "house" white, but I'm beginning to tire of it -- not enough fruit and too much oak is my current thought.
About how much for the Cold Creek? (I don't drink white, btw, I just cook with it).

johnw86

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Columbia Crest for everyday drinking--the Cab, the merlot and their Chardonnay are good buys for $11 (Ohio price).

Also bought a case of Villa Mt. Eden cabernet (Tall Trees vineyard) for $11 a bottle and it drinks more like a $25 bottle.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fab,

The Cold Creek Vineyard wines are in the low $20 range generally. I've seen them occasionally at Costco, so they are likely even cheaper there.

Don't drink whites. What do you drink in midsummer?

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I drink red wine year round. No matter how much I force myself, I just cannot get interested in white wines. Must be partially a cultural thing. I was miserable in Austria.
tounge.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads