Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cheap Sunglasses?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by discreteuniverse, Feb 5, 2011.

1. discreteuniverse

discreteuniverse Well-Known Member

I haven't owned any sunglasses in years, and back when I did, they were the $8 pairs that came off of the racks at drugstores. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for cheap, but decent, sunglasses. Definitely under $50, but preferably under $30. I'll just lose them eventually anyways.

Thanks.

2. cioni2k

cioni2k Distinguished Member

I find that if you spend a little more on sunglasses you tend not to lose them like you would an $8 pair. I wouldn't even know where to find a pair for $30-$50 its a very odd price range. Why not just spend a little more and walk into any Sunglass hut and buy a pair for ~$100-$120

3. RedRaider

RedRaider Well-Known Member

I just picked up a cheap pair of Fossils (plastic) at Ross for $10. Honestly, they are the most comfortable sun glasses I have owned in years. Marshalls may also have some mid-range glasses at lower prices.

4. RedRaider

RedRaider Well-Known Member

I find that if you spend a little more on sunglasses you tend not to lose them like you would an $8 pair. I wouldn't even know where to find a pair for $30-$50 its a very odd price range. Why not just spend a little more and walk into any Sunglass hut and buy a pair for ~$100-$120

There are plenty of nice pairs of glasses in the $30-50 range. Any mall department store will have a decent selection.

5. RangerP

RangerP Senior Member

In my experience, there is not a big difference between the $8 pairs and the $30 pairs...

I'm like you with sunglasses, I just lose them everywhere. I went through 4 pairs of Oakley's in one summer a few years back. Thank god for the MasterCard Purchase Assurance which replaced the first 3 pairs....last one was after the 90 days...

I currently only have one good pair of sunglasses and I never wear them because I know I'll lose them.

6. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Distinguished Member

Just get wayfarers and be done with it.

7. konoyaro

konoyaro Senior Member

8. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Distinguished Member

Randolph US Military square framed aviators with the straight temple bars. Available in gold, silver or Matt silver frames, green or gray glass, small and large lens size. Can be had for around $40-$50 on eBay. Look good with a suit or jeans. Think Don Draper, Travis Bickle or Andy Garcia in Internal Affairs.

9. discreteuniverse

discreteuniverse Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions. This gives me some options to explore.

10. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

I just picked up a cheap pair of Fossils (plastic) at Ross for $10. Honestly, they are the most comfortable sun glasses I have owned in years. Marshalls may also have some mid-range glasses at lower prices.

I was gonna suggest fossil. My favorite sunglasses next to my persols. I just like the way they look.

11. Twotone

Twotone Distinguished Member

Serengeti Drivers are my favorite -- great color and real glass. Many ebay sellers for around $50. You really need to find the best pair that fits your face and with a lens color you like. Can't go wrong with classic Ray Ban Wayfarers or aviators. Cheap sunglasses are like a cheap suit and not worth the price. What are your eyes worth?

12. landshark

landshark Distinguished Member

The only difference between $10 and $50 sunglasses is the markup. Buy a pair of $100 ray bans and be happy about it.

13. blahman

blahman Distinguished Member

I would go check out some outlet stores for good deals on sunglasses. Some of them that are a couple of seasons old get ridiculous mark downs.

14. acridsheep

acridsheep Distinguished Member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    Cheap sunglasses are like a cheap suit and not worth the price. What are your eyes worth?

He wants recommendations for sunglasses, not lasik surgeons.

15. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Senior Member

Check out the real "aviators" offered by American Optical, available in any good Army/Navy store for $50 and J Peterman for a little more. Good enough for USAF fighter pilots, good enough for me. Sunglasses are such bullshit and these do the job perfectly. I could kill my boys for what they spend on sunglasses but plead guilty to enabling.