1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap stuff/clothing that you enjoy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lee_44106, Dec 4, 2009.

1. NaturalShoulder

NaturalShoulder Senior member

Just about anything I've gotten from Lands' End.

+1

2. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

J. Press ties.
    Silk knots.
    Ribbon belts.

3. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

Uniqlo socks
    vintage Arrow poly/cotton button downs
    Costco undershirts and briefs

4. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

Of course everything 'holds up well'. Are you guys expecting them to have holes and stuff?

5. dv3

dv3 Senior member

Feather razor blades, at 50 cents (or less in bulk) each, they blow the hell out of any cartridge razor.

6. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

Anything and everything from J. Crew at 25% off...

7. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

My two pair of black Dickie... Last me through out high school (uniform) and 2.5 years working at this restaurant. Pretty tough pants...

EDIT : I still wear it when I'm doing something around the house or help out my dad with some random side jobs.

8. srivats

srivats Senior member

Casual shirts
    Lands' end chambray shirts
    Lands' end rugby t-shirts
    Plaid shirts from A&F

Causal Trousers:
    An older pair of cargo pants from Old Navy (yes, old navy).
    A few pair of beater khakis from Dockers

Footwear:
    A pair of LL Bean mocc-toe bluchers
    LL Bean katahdin boots for foul weather wear

Misc stuff:
    A $17 casio electronic watch that I wore all through highschool. I lost it and bought a new one and wear it very often
    A bunch of ribbon belts from J. Press bought on deep sale a few years back. These ROCK.
    Jockey undershirts from Macy's sale. I got a BIG bunch and they are solid.

Items that deserve a special shoutout:
    a few simple, well made horsehide belts by SF member unlucky (handmade belts)
    Seersucker Bowties handmade by Ellie Laveer (AAAC member)

9. Poison Spanking

Poison Spanking Member

Is she Chinese? 'cause that's a big NO-NO on this board.

Haha, no. Sorry, that post probably would have worked better in S&D.

10. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

Feather razor blades, at 50 cents (or less in bulk) each, they blow the hell out of any cartridge razor.

At first Feathers cut my shit up - after playing around a bit now I am starting to [​IMG]

11. sfnapolifan

sfnapolifan Well-Known Member

ecco - cheap, comfortable, resilient beater shoes for bad weather, long walks and other situations where style is not the primary consideration.

quilted barbour jackets - not all that cheap, for what they are, but i get about the same amount of compliments when wearing barbour as kiton.

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

J.Crew casual pants.

13. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

^I like the J. Crew 5-pocket cords for casual wear, but especially when they hit $20 or so.

Old Navy's cotton-linen shirts can be nice for summer, though some years' are better than others. Linen, in general, is one of those cloths that can look good done up in a somewhat rustic fashion. Some high-dollar linen shirts look too refined for their own good, I think. The phrase "better than the cloth deserves" comes to mind.

The previously mentioned Gold Toe socks have held up better than many of my more expensive pairs.

LL Bean's wool V-neck sweater vests look great layered under tweedy sportcoats.

Lands' End's flannel tattersalls are a fall and winter favorite.

14. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

Of course everything 'holds up well'. Are you guys expecting them to have holes and stuff?
    You need more experience with clothes not everything is guaged for quality or hold up by how many holes appear or how quickly a hole appears.

How it holds up at the seams, the length of fiber (pilling ), discoloration or warping or awkward shrinking of cloth after wash, etc are all aspects of a mediocre quality item.

For example
    I had a b.son cotton peacoat once. After wearing it for half dozen wears (and I don't wear my clothes hard at all) it started already pilling and eroding and loose strings everywhere. And it got all stretched out of shape and I don't know why it did.

15. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Uniqlo boxers. Best deal out there and well made.

16. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Levis jeans; a brand I grew up with. (I haven't a clue about modern designer denim at all) Kodiak construction boots (probably now vintage). Old Navy hoodie pullover (with Old Gravy stains to match). TIME magazine quartz watch. Plain white or colored T-shirts. (found at any downtown street vendor for $3 per shirt.) Cheap sneakers from any discontinued 'Bin-O-Shoes' Where is the WCSAYWT (What Cheap Stuff Are You Wearing Today) thread? This could be fun.

17. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

Clan MacGreggor. I wish my clan had a whisky.

18. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

^I like the J. Crew 5-pocket cords for casual wear, but especially when they hit $20 or so.

Yes! I bought several pairs of J.Crew cords this season for $29 that were originally $69. For me they have good enough quality and a perfect fit.