• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cheap, slim fitting trench coat?

billyhoyle

Reaction score
hey,

i went by h&m the other day and saw a black trench that fit this description, but not in my size. anywhere else to look?

emptym

Reaction score
The Gap had one in the window yesterday. I'm not sure how much it cost, but it was slim.

billyhoyle

Reaction score
bump...anyone? its pouring here today.
confused.gif

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been hoping for something similar. I think it's up to dudes like you and me to figure out and report back.

My understanding is trench coats just aren't all that cheap usually. If you go with the H & M, post a pic and review.

Minkous

Reaction score
Originally Posted by freelance robotics
pick up a london fog from the thrift store, take it to the tailor, problem solved
HOLY SH*T you took my idea.... i found a decent london fog trench in my size for $8.00 at the thrift store and i been debating buying it cuz i wasnt quite sure if it can be altered to look how i want. Have you done this before? If so please post pics of your success with the london fog trench!!!!

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought one from Bennetton about 6months ago. Its slim, light and has held up well.

xkmasada

Reaction score
I got a black H&M trencoat a few weeks ago from the Chicago State St. shop. $150, or thereabouts. I would have preferred it in khaki, but it only came in black. They had a 36R, and it fits me perfectly (I'm 5'7", have a 27" waist, and weigh 128 lbs). If you can fit into a H&M 36R sports jacket, you should be able to get a pretty good fit in the 36R trenchcoat. It is lightly quilted on the inside. I haven't had to wear it out in the rain yet, but it's been keeping me warm for the past couple days.

I've found that it is extremely difficult to find reasonably priced slim trench coats or overcoats. Nothing at all at Filenes Basement in 36, and the 38's are usually sized much too large. Also fairly hard to find online. That being said, second hand Russian army trenchcoats usually have a very slim look and sometimes come in smaller sizes, but it's hard to rely on their sizing information.

emptym

Reaction score

ephemeralcoherence

Reaction score
If you're around NY, you should check out UNIQLO's trench. It's around $130 and has a button-in liner (body only).

Charlie

Reaction score
i recently purchased a sanyo SB full length rain coat - they are nice coats, but they are NOT slim. The coat was HUGE on me (44 in chest, 40 in waist), and i returned it. As i have mentioned on another thread, Lord & Taylor carries a Joseph Abboud DB trench (not made by Joseph Abboud, but by Gruner and Co. for the Abboud label) and i am very happy with the fit and the look.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ephemeralcoherence
If you're around NY, you should check out UNIQLO's trench. It's around $130 and has a button-in liner (body only).

Thanks! I'll do that I'll be there this weekend.
m

02///M3

Reaction score
I have been looking desperately for the same type of coat. Club Monaco has a great, slim cut one on sale right now, but unfotunately I am right in between a medium and a large. I would definitely recommend taking a look.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by freelance robotics
pick up a london fog from the thrift store, take it to the tailor, problem solved
+1

If you care about rain resistance there are places that specialize in outdoor clothing/stuff alterations, like tents and such, that could do the alteration then glue on the goretex-like tape they use on the seams. Seattle has one that is very reputable, but ask your local REI or similar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads