• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheap sites to buy from?

Joshua s

Reaction score
Hi, new guy here. First post.

First off, I want to say I love this forum, it's chock full of awesome info and helpful people! I look forward to plumbing it to it's fullest depths.
wink.gif

I'm looking for places to shop where I can buy an outfit for no more than....oh $100 - $120.

I guess knowing about my style would help maybe? I'm 18 years old and about to begin my second year of college. I dress casual mostly. HOWEVER, I DON'T WEAR THE BAGGY/HOLEY JEANS! I HATE those things. They drive me nutty.

Perhaps then I'm a bit preppy? I don't know. When I hear preppy I think "snob" which I certainly don't feel like I am. I don't wear really outlandish things, and I don't really wear trendy items either. I've looked at a few sites, such as Kenneth Cole and Banana Republic. I like the things they list as "urban" or "casual," but they're expensive! (To me at least!) I can't afford a $60 shirt!

Am I just too cheap? Probably so. Sticker shock I guess.

Any suggestions?

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrift stores are your friend, Filenes Basement (sp?), Buffalo Exchange, Crossroads, Nordies Rack, Off 5th, Barney's Co-op and blah blah blah. Use them.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To add to the list: Neiman Marcus Last Call, Century 21, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Bluefly.com, Yoox.com, SierraTradingPost.com, VirtualClothesHorse.com

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H&M will have similar styles to Kenneth Cole and Banana Republic (though H&M is not quite so bland, and probably fits better depending on your build) for about half the price, or less.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
To add to the list: Neiman Marcus Last Call, Century 21, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Bluefly.com, Yoox.com, SierraTradingPost.com, VirtualClothesHorse.com

Century 21?

I have a hit-or-miss relationship with Kenneth Cole. Sometimes their styles can be real eurotrash and outlandish and all of their clothing is one size larger than marked. It's actually pretty odd come to think of it: clothing geared for young professionals but shaped for older men. It's the more classic, mellow stuff that I own (dress shirts, jackets, club wear, shoes, etc.). Just a shame that they're relatively inconsistent in terms of keeping a certain look because quality-wise I think they're fantastic. Guess that's just their style.

H&M is rather amazing but stemming from Euro fashion can suffer the same "over-the-top" problem as KC. However, they're extremely cheap, decently made, and has a truer, slimmer fit. I'd buy more from them if only they had an online store or a shop in Southern CA. Why they haven't by now is still a mystery to me.

Also, eBay should be a given. If you're looking around online shops and have a general idea of brand/style, ebay can save you tons. Just check it's authentic.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Century 21?
In NYC across the street from the WTC site. Incredible deals, wide selection, and an absolute ******* madhouse. Worth a visit if you're in the city.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Century 21?

I have a hit-or-miss relationship with Kenneth Cole. Sometimes their styles can be real eurotrash and outlandish and all of their clothing is one size larger than marked. It's actually pretty odd come to think of it: clothing geared for young professionals but shaped for older men. It's the more classic, mellow stuff that I own (dress shirts, jackets, club wear, shoes, etc.). Just a shame that they're relatively inconsistent in terms of keeping a certain look because quality-wise I think they're fantastic. Guess that's just their style.

H&M is rather amazing but stemming from Euro fashion can suffer the same "over-the-top" problem as KC. However, they're extremely cheap, decently made, and has a truer, slimmer fit. I'd buy more from them if only they had an online store or a shop in Southern CA. Why they haven't by now is still a mystery to me.

Also, eBay should be a given. If you're looking around online shops and have a general idea of brand/style, ebay can save you tons. Just check it's authentic.

KC eurotrash? Trust me, that would be an improvement. For all the much vaunted stylishness and fashion forward aesthetic they spew, they rarely hit the euro-forward style. They are the equivalent to the Grucci watch or Kalvin Clein SeeK1 you find on the street
tongue.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
KC eurotrash? Trust me, that would be an improvement. For all the much vaunted stylishness and fashion forward aesthetic they spew, they rarely hit the euro-forward style. They are the equivalent to the Grucci watch or Kalvin Clein SeeK1 you find on the street
tongue.gif

Don't forget Brada...

or Gianni Armani

manifest v

Reaction score
Century 21?

There's gonna be an H&M opening on rodeo I think this fall... or is it on melrose? I dunno. See you there.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
H&M is supposed to be in the Beverly Center, and in Old Town Pasadena, Santa Anita mall, Irvine Spectrum....I'm sure there's more in the LA area than those too

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you go for sort of "preppy" styles, why not check out the sale on the J Crew website? People on the Men's Clothing forum have picked up some nice looking sweaters and things at good bargains. I think it's possible to pick up an outfit for that price in a lot of places with one major exception: jeans. I'd say be willing to get one or two pairs for $100-150 each, because they will just be better.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by manifest v
There's gonna be an H&M opening on rodeo I think this fall... or is it on melrose? I dunno. See you there.
I've been out of the country too f'ing long (i.e. 3 months). I can't comprehend where they'd stuff a store like H&M on Melrose but then again, they did add an Urban a few years back. As for Old Town Pas, I hope they put it some place like the Paseo. The whole Colorado/Fair Oaks scene is crowded as is. Maybe I'm just expecting them to be nice and big like the ones in DC. EDIT: I think KC and Polo both have the same idea of "forward" and have little to do with Euro-forward standards. It'd be a shame if you equate Euro-forward meaning it must be good.

kilokore

Reaction score
which reminds me

any good thrift stores in DC/georgetown??

Joshua s

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Websites will be my main thing here, as I live in Mississippi and I don't get to travel. :p

If I ever visit New York, I'll keep these names in mind.
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads