• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheap raw selvage denim?

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this topic has probably been beaten to a pulp, but what is the cheapest pair of selvage raw denim I can get? I like my 501's for the "raw" factor, but I'm not too found of the quality of fabric or the fit. I'd like something not as tapered at the hem.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
501 are not tapered at the hem, so you must be looking for bootcuts, or flares. you cant really cut selvage like that, so your choices are gonna be very limited. and not cheap. i think Pure Blue Japan, and nudie, make selvage bootcuts, but are 200+

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheapmutha
501 are not tapered at the hem, so you must be looking for bootcuts, or flares. you cant really cut selvage like that, so your choices are gonna be very limited. and not cheap. i think Pure Blue Japan, and nudie, make selvage bootcuts, but are 200+
I find my 501's "scrounge" up at that bottom? I like my jeans to go past the back of my sneakers. With Chucks they're fine (and many hightops), but w/ my Dunks they get stuck up on TOP of the shoe...maye I just need a bigger hem?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Uniqlo dry selvage is probably the cheapest option. They are cut straightleg and though I haven't tried 501s in a really long time, are probably a bit wider at the hem than those. They definitely aren't tapered.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Uniqlo dry selvage is probably the cheapest option. They are cut straightleg and though I haven't tried 501s in a really long time, are probably a bit wider at the hem than those. They definitely aren't tapered.
Uniqlo selvage is no where to be found in the states, or am I misinterpreting something.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know if it's available in the states, though I was sure someone recently said they still had it for about $50-60.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I don't know if it's available in the states, though I was sure someone recently said they still had it for about $50-60.
I'm on the japanese site right now..so far nothing for selvage

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It was called "shuttle denim" when I got it. But again, I could be wrong. Where's weirdnjfan and the other NJ members?

sybaritical

Reaction score
Uniqlo must've stopped producing their greenline selvedge. They sold their entire london stock off for £9 a pair last year and then it disappeared without trace from all their stores.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sybaritical
Uniqlo must've stopped producing their greenline selvedge. They sold their entire london stock off for £9 a pair last year and then it disappeared without trace from all their stores.
that's what i remembeer reading...so w/ uniqlo out of the question, what other brands? APC?

weirdnjfan1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
It was called "shuttle denim" when I got it. But again, I could be wrong. Where's weirdnjfan and the other NJ members?

Sorry I'm late, I was busy at work this morning. The thing with Uniqlo here in the US is that they are still starting out here. The selection in the two stores that I visit regularly is pretty good, but now where near full potentional that it could be. Yes j, we do have the Shuttle Loom Denim that you are talking about, but sad to say that it isn't raw yet. We do have two washes, one dark and one that is a greenish-brown color. The closest thing that we have raw is the one wash jeans that they have in two different colors, the blue and the recent black. I really wish that they had the raw selvage here in the states, but I guess that only time will tell if they bring it over here.

sybaritical

Reaction score
I could be wrong but by all reports it's not available in Japan anymore, either.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by weirdnjfan1
Sorry I'm late, I was busy at work this morning. The thing with Uniqlo here in the US is that they are still starting out here. The selection in the two stores that I visit regularly is pretty good, but now where near full potentional that it could be. Yes j, we do have the Shuttle Loom Denim that you are talking about, but sad to say that it isn't raw yet. We do have two washes, one dark and one that is a greenish-brown color. The closest thing that we have raw is the one wash jeans that they have in two different colors, the blue and the recent black. I really wish that they had the raw selvage here in the states, but I guess that only time will tell if they bring it over here.
So you do have a one wash selvage?

seen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sybaritical
They sold their entire london stock off for £9 a pair last year and then it disappeared without trace from all their stores.

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!

seen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by weirdnjfan1
I really wish that they had the raw selvage here in the states, but I guess that only time will tell if they bring it over here.

Well at least there's still some hope.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads