1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap raw selvage denim?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by knucks, Sep 15, 2006.

1. knucks

knucks Senior member

I know this topic has probably been beaten to a pulp, but what is the cheapest pair of selvage raw denim I can get? I like my 501's for the "raw" factor, but I'm not too found of the quality of fabric or the fit. I'd like something not as tapered at the hem.

2. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

501 are not tapered at the hem, so you must be looking for bootcuts, or flares. you cant really cut selvage like that, so your choices are gonna be very limited. and not cheap. i think Pure Blue Japan, and nudie, make selvage bootcuts, but are 200+

3. knucks

knucks Senior member

501 are not tapered at the hem, so you must be looking for bootcuts, or flares. you cant really cut selvage like that, so your choices are gonna be very limited. and not cheap. i think Pure Blue Japan, and nudie, make selvage bootcuts, but are 200+
    I find my 501's "scrounge" up at that bottom? I like my jeans to go past the back of my sneakers. With Chucks they're fine (and many hightops), but w/ my Dunks they get stuck up on TOP of the shoe...maye I just need a bigger hem?

4. j

j Senior member Admin

Uniqlo dry selvage is probably the cheapest option. They are cut straightleg and though I haven't tried 501s in a really long time, are probably a bit wider at the hem than those. They definitely aren't tapered.

5. knucks

knucks Senior member

Uniqlo dry selvage is probably the cheapest option. They are cut straightleg and though I haven't tried 501s in a really long time, are probably a bit wider at the hem than those. They definitely aren't tapered.
    Uniqlo selvage is no where to be found in the states, or am I misinterpreting something.

6. j

j Senior member Admin

I don't know if it's available in the states, though I was sure someone recently said they still had it for about $50-60.

7. knucks

knucks Senior member

I don't know if it's available in the states, though I was sure someone recently said they still had it for about $50-60.
    I'm on the japanese site right now..so far nothing for selvage

8. j

j Senior member Admin

It was called "shuttle denim" when I got it. But again, I could be wrong. Where's weirdnjfan and the other NJ members?

9. sybaritical

sybaritical Senior member

Uniqlo must've stopped producing their greenline selvedge. They sold their entire london stock off for £9 a pair last year and then it disappeared without trace from all their stores.

10. knucks

knucks Senior member

Uniqlo must've stopped producing their greenline selvedge. They sold their entire london stock off for £9 a pair last year and then it disappeared without trace from all their stores.
    that's what i remembeer reading...so w/ uniqlo out of the question, what other brands? APC?

11. weirdnjfan1

weirdnjfan1 Senior member

It was called "shuttle denim" when I got it. But again, I could be wrong. Where's weirdnjfan and the other NJ members?

Sorry I'm late, I was busy at work this morning. The thing with Uniqlo here in the US is that they are still starting out here. The selection in the two stores that I visit regularly is pretty good, but now where near full potentional that it could be. Yes j, we do have the Shuttle Loom Denim that you are talking about, but sad to say that it isn't raw yet. We do have two washes, one dark and one that is a greenish-brown color. The closest thing that we have raw is the one wash jeans that they have in two different colors, the blue and the recent black. I really wish that they had the raw selvage here in the states, but I guess that only time will tell if they bring it over here.

12. sybaritical

sybaritical Senior member

I could be wrong but by all reports it's not available in Japan anymore, either.

13. knucks

knucks Senior member

Sorry I'm late, I was busy at work this morning. The thing with Uniqlo here in the US is that they are still starting out here. The selection in the two stores that I visit regularly is pretty good, but now where near full potentional that it could be. Yes j, we do have the Shuttle Loom Denim that you are talking about, but sad to say that it isn't raw yet. We do have two washes, one dark and one that is a greenish-brown color. The closest thing that we have raw is the one wash jeans that they have in two different colors, the blue and the recent black. I really wish that they had the raw selvage here in the states, but I guess that only time will tell if they bring it over here.
    So you do have a one wash selvage?

14. seen

seen Senior member

They sold their entire london stock off for £9 a pair last year and then it disappeared without trace from all their stores.

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!

15. seen

seen Senior member

I really wish that they had the raw selvage here in the states, but I guess that only time will tell if they bring it over here.

Well at least there's still some hope.

16. weirdnjfan1

weirdnjfan1 Senior member

So you do have a one wash selvage?

No dude, I think I was a little unclear earlier. Right now, the US Uniqlo only stocks washed Selvage in two different colors, a basic blue and a greenish-brown color. The have a non-selvage one wash in a weird blue color and they just added black this season. So far, no sign of anything raw in the US yet.

17. j

j Senior member Admin

Okay, sorry for bringing up Uniqlo. I'll shut up on that until we get solid info that they have the raw shuttle denim available. IMO/AFAIK the next cheapest raw selvedge (worth bothering with) is APC. Gap or someone may have one a little cheaper but it's going to be crap compared to APC. For $120 or maybe less with the Azalea coupon (not sure) it's a great deal.

18. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

Is there a reason you actually care about selvage?

19. ts4them

ts4them Senior member

The gap selvage are $100, didn't try them on as they didn't have my size. Probably won't go hunting for them either- didn't like the pockets (very important for me).

20. Chip

Chip Senior member

DC shoes made a raw black selvedge denim that should probably be wide enough for you. If you are a 32x32 then I would be willing to sell them to you if your interested..