1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap Pima Cotton T's?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, Feb 9, 2005.

1. j

j Senior member Admin

I know this is about T-shirts but thought I'd mention that the BR pima cotton "leisure shirts" (styled like the AA leisure shirts) are really nice and a great value if you find them on sale. The collars hold up much better than the AA ones and the fit is great for tucked or untucked wear.

If they use the same fabric for their pima T-shirts, they are probably nice as well.

2. berlin report

berlin report Senior member

If there is no difference between Pima and Supima, then Brooks Brothers has a three pack of pima undershirts that are quite nice. I know I have enjoyed mine, although I think I bought size L and should have gotten M.

They have a more expensive "Mercerized" line as well, which I have never felt. I don't know what Mercerized means or whether it is worth the ~$6 per shirt premium brooks charges.

2xist sounds interesting and I may give them a try.

Also, there is Zimmerli but I can't afford that yet.

Perhaps someone can opine as to whether the regular line Zimmerli is comparable with the Pima Brooks or 2xist or if it is more along the lines of the mercerized Brooks offerings. Perhaps even the regular line Zimmerli is in a class all of its own?

Mercerized Cotton---"Cotton that has been treated with sodium hydroxide to shrink it and increase its luster and affinity for dye. It is also makes it mildew resistant and stronger."
    The main difference IMO is that merc cotton is a touch stiffer than pima and also has a lot more sheen. Also, merc cotton is not supposed to shrink but I have a shirt from Sonia Rykiel that did. The sheen didn't wash off though. I think pima is better.

3. Senai

Senai Member

forgive the thread hijack but since this is concerning shirts here it goes: anyone got experience with the Pureness line from Zimmerlli?

4. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I have tried the Zimmerli Royal Classic, Business Class, and Timeless lines (tees). They are collectively the best I have ever tried - better than Brooks, Polo, 2xist, Adam+Eve, etc. I hope to try Pureness very soon. Size down one size for a trimmer fit.

5. Senai

Senai Member

where do you buy your Zimmerli's from? [​IMG]

6. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Hmm, I don't recall the provenance of all. STP, Figleaves, some other internet sellers. I also have quite a bit of relabelled Marc Jacobs shirts. They're what first got me hooked. I'm not sure if they're still made by Zimmerli though.

7. thinman

thinman Senior member

Try Lands' End for cheap, heavy-weight tees. Not nearly as comfy as 2xist, but they have multiple colors.