• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cheap/Mid Level(<$500) Slim/Tailored Cotton Suits. Is anybody making them?

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

alphabravo

Reaction score
I'm actually looking for the exact same thing for my wedding this summer. The J. Crew is my top choice right now, but I'm hoping more will be coming out soon? BR only has one in chino right now but they've had more in the past. Uniqlo didn't have any up last time I looked. Seems like either this year is weak on the light suit options or they're still coming out.

Express also has an affordable cotton suit option that's really decent for the price. I'd probably get it myself, but my future brother-in-law wore it for his wedding last summer. So, yeah. And there's always H&M.

If anyone has a line on anything else though I'm more than eager to hear about it myself.

Last edited:

Off My Rack

Reaction score
Am I the only one that gets annoyed with stores using "tailored" as an indication of a slimmer fit? Not annoyed with the OP here - just venting a bit. In my book, an item is tailored once you purchase it, take it to a tailor, and have it adjusted to fit you.

Or more appropriately, it has been tailored once you purchase it, post pics here, then tell a tailor what the real experts say you should do.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Am I the only one that gets annoyed with stores using "tailored" as an indication of a slimmer fit? Not annoyed with the OP here - just venting a bit. In my book, an item is tailored once you purchase it, take it to a tailor, and have it adjusted to fit you.

Or more appropriately, it has been tailored once you purchase it, post pics here, then tell a tailor what the real experts say you should do.

Banana Republic suits fits me off the rack with no tailoring. Very slim if it's the "tailored" fit.
Brooks has some summer suits in decent styles from $500-$600
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSectionView.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=419&section_size=&section_color=&sortby=lowestPrice

The lapels on the Regent and Milano are too thin. Unwearable.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Made in California

Reaction score
Calvin Klein...

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Banana Republic Tailored or Trim (whatever they call it now) suit will look good. It's fused, and not the quality that SFers like to talk about, but it'll look cool for a little while.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you looked at Banana Republic's Mad Men cotton suit? Don't know how slim it is in RL, but it looks fairly trim in the ads.

Also, J. Crew always has them.

Doc, are they made in USA or out-sourced?

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ultramantaro

Reaction score
since when has jcrew or br suits been made in the US? I've almost haven't seen anything from them made in the US for the last 10 years.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.