1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap linen sports coat for summer wear?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by enarchay, Jun 20, 2010.

1. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

Anyone have opinions on Uniqlo linen stuff? Their linen coats seem ridiculously cheap -- $60? I may have to hop a train down to NYC to pick one or two up.

I've heard good things, but I'm not sure I feel like driving all the way to NYC for one jacket. Too bad I can't order them online.

2. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

Macy's and Old Navy? Really? In your price range, you're not going to find anything, unless you're really lucky or it's used.

3. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

Macy's and Old Navy? Really? In your price range, you're not going to find anything, unless you're really lucky or it's used.
    I know... I know... I plan on wearing it only this summer until I can buy something better later (i.e. next summer). But I figured I could get something at least passable in that price range. If I have to decide between two pieces of shit, I might as well choose the one that smells less. Now which one?

4. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

If you live near a Daffy's they carry sport coats for really low prices. I picked up a completely unstructured seersucker jacket for $50 last year and I still wear it.

5. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

If you live near a Daffy's they carry sport coats for really low prices. I picked up a completely unstructured seersucker jacket for $50 last year and I still wear it.

Unfortunately, I don't.

6. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

Anyone know where at I can view which linen jackets are available with Uniqlo? I don't see any on the site.

7. MrG

MrG Senior member

He has found something in his price range, and those somethings are available at Macy's and Old Navy. Give the guy a break - he's not going to get Corneliani at his price point, but he explicitly states he wants cheap and linen. These items seem to fit the bill.

FWIW, OP, I'd go for the Old Navy. The partial lining is attractive, and it's looks like it would be a decent beater to have around for a summer or two. You're not going to get any quality at that price point, but for a casual summer coat it's not half bad.

8. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

I ordered the Old Navy jacket and it seems higher quality than the Macy's one. The only problem is it's much thicker, so I'm not sure how appropriate it is for summer. (It also has lining down the sides and in the sleeves.)

I'm thinking about giving Uniqlo a try since I found out I can order over the phone. But I can't seem to find any pictures of the jackets they have available.

9. MrG

MrG Senior member

I ordered the Old Navy jacket and it seems higher quality than the Macy's one. The only problem is it's much thicker, so I'm not sure how appropriate it is for summer. (It also has lining down the sides and in the sleeves.)

I'm thinking about giving Uniqlo a try since I found out I can order over the phone. But I can't seem to find any pictures of the jackets they have available.

I'm a big fan of linen, and I own both 100% linen and linen-cotton blend items. I have found that the blends aren't as cool in the heat as the blends, but they're still quite nice. Basically, they're better than cotton but not quite as good as linen, which I suppose makes sense.

The UK site seems to have some linen stuff listed. I have no idea if you can order from that site, but it's a decent listing. If nothing else, maybe you could use the product info from the UK site to track down what you want in the States.

http://www.uniqlo.co.uk/catalogue/men/outerwear/all_29

10. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

I'm a big fan of linen, and I own both 100% linen and linen-cotton blend items. I have found that the blends aren't as cool in the heat as the blends, but they're still quite nice. Basically, they're better than cotton but not quite as good as linen, which I suppose makes sense.

The one from Old Navy is linen/cotton blend. I'm not sure how cool it is, but it's much thicker. Almost seems like it'd be better for early autumn than summer. But I like the construction/look better than the one from Macys.

I'll take a look.

11. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

I suppose I could call the NY store up and ask what they have available, but what I don't like about this is I won't be able to actually see what I'll be purchasing.

12. chicfric

chicfric Active Member

I would suggest H&M, Uniqlo, or the Gap.

13. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Anyone have opinions on Uniqlo linen stuff? Their linen coats seem ridiculously cheap -- $60? I may have to hop a train down to NYC to pick one or two up.

Their stuff is usually a great value. They only have one store in NY (Soho) but is worth checking out for basic items. I did not notice too many sports coats when I was there, but I may have missed it.

14. RyJ Maduro

RyJ Maduro Senior member

What size are you?

I have a very nice three-button Polo sportcoat in cream linen which I'm looking to sell. Patch pockets, surgeon's cuffs.

It's tagged a small, and would probobly fit a 38-40R.

15. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Ralph Lauren's linen italian made sportcoats are inexpensive right now. $379. They're actually suit separates I've bought the full suit in two colors already.

16. JG000

JG000 Senior member

I like them both. I actually bought an Old Navy sports coat for $25 this weekend. Granted it's no Kiton, but at $25 I figured it wouldn't hurt to add it to my collection.

http://www.thechoosybeggar.com/2010/...-twill-blazer/

^ This is the jacket I found, if anybody is interested. It was on the clearance rack in my size.

17. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

http://www.thechoosybeggar.com/2010/...-twill-blazer/ ^ This is the jacket I found, if anybody is interested. It was on the clearance rack in my size.
    I stuck with the Old Navy linen sports coat, and for the price, I think it's decent. I'm tempted to pick up some other sports coats in different fabrics for the fall. I currently can't afford to spend a lot of money on various sports coats, and since Anderson-Little only produces the classic navy blazer, Old Navy seems like a cheap temporary option for variety.