• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheap Japanese Hair salons in NYC

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe Hoshi Coupe is one of the cheapest. Though I think they charge $35. They have several locations, E. Village, SoHo, maybe some spots uptown, as well.

andyw

Reaction score
Yeah, Hoshi Coupe.........many Japanese expats cutting hair there. Cuts are $40. You should also check out the plethora of salons on Pell St. in Chinatown. Cuts are $15 - 25 and by Chinese stylists who are on top of all the trends.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In case you care, Hoshi Coupe is cheap because the stylists there are mainly undocumented, and they make about $3.50/hour there to start. The salon owner, Ms. Hoshi, takes the majority herself. If you go and you want to be kind to your stylist, tip her/him well. (My stylist, who charges about $45, used to work there, before she opened her own place, and she told me all about the place.)

jleeo225

Reaction score
Hair Mates in the East Village on St. Mark's Place. It's over 30 bucks, though.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dozens of old-school Italian barbers in Brooklyn will give you that hair cut for under $10.00.

byuntae

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jleeo225
Hair Mates in the East Village on St. Mark's Place. It's over 30 bucks, though.

I think it said on their site that the one on St. Marks charged 45 for a cut.

jleeo225

Reaction score
Yup, just what I thought. I hadn't been there in a while, but I did recall that it was over 30 bucks. Just forgot how much.

savage

Reaction score
Hoshi Coup. I think it's like 20-40.. get a woman stylist though, casue they always give head massages.. they guys usually don't massage other guys.

there are a few, but i sually go to the one on 9th, almost next door to the octopus ball place.

e23

Reaction score
speaking of hairmates, is it worth going if im going to be cutting my hair pretty short? i went last time but it was because i had medium length..

mylesmyles

Reaction score
i go to the hairmates on 40th street and park in midtown and swear by them. it's $50 but i feel as though it's worth it, and far better than any other cut i have had within walking distance of my office. my roomate (a girl) always says that your hair is the only thing you wear every day, might as well sprluge on it.

SOS

Reaction score
If in the Chinatown area you should think about trying JUN on Mott between Bowery & Mosco. Her prices are below $20 and the cuts are great. JUN also includes a complimentary shampoo and head massage, a great way to start off your appointment!

tedbearz

Reaction score
Hoshi Coupe is $40 for the East Village location. Hairmates is $45. Just came back from the Hoshi Coupe surprised that only one of the stylists was Japanese everyone else was American. Not sure if it was really worth the $40.

Any recommedations for places in Chinatown of similar quality or other places that have experience with Asian Hair?

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tedbearz
Hoshi Coupe is $40 for the East Village location. Hairmates is $45. Just came back from the Hoshi Coupe surprised that only one of the stylists was Japanese everyone else was American. Not sure if it was really worth the $40.

Any recommedations for places in Chinatown of similar quality or other places that have experience with Asian Hair?

My lady charges $55-$60, I think. She started w/ Hoshi Coupe back when they were all Japanese. Anyway, she's Japanese, skilled, stylish and has pride in her craft. Does wonders with my Asian hair. PM me if you're interested/willing to spend a bit more.

fishtail

Reaction score
I went to hairmates recently and got the nakata style haircut. The cut looked alright but they do not use buzzers. The thing is that this hairstyle requires the buzzer. The cut only lasted me a week before i needed another one.

So the question now is...does anyone know of any Japanese salons that use buzzers? Also SOS where is this JUN place you are talking about and are they Japanese also?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics