• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheap international texting.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend just moved back to Toronto and even though its just right over the border. AT&T charged $.50 per message sent and $.40 to receive. Or I can pay $9.99 a month for 100 texts (seriously?? 100?). She had been using a pay as you go phone and paying $20 a month for unlimited texts, she text her parents for free (no additional charge on her credit card she used to load the phone) that way. I think as long as I keep a couple minutes on it the phone stays active until they are gone.

I'm thinking that is what I'll end up doing, unless someone has any other ideas?

I know we can do something with twitter where you set up private messages so you can tweet and only they receive it but it just sounds like too big of a pain.

Why do none of the big carriers have international texting plans that are decent? She got international text on her Canadian phone company no problem.

Kique

Reaction score
Verizon's unlimited texting includes Canada.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm don't know if id want to switch over. Looked at their website.
Unlimited Messaging Applies when sending and receiving (i) Text, Picture, and Video Messages with Verizon Wireless and non–Verizon Wireless customers in the United States; (ii) Text, Picture, and Video Messages sent via email; (iii) Instant Messages; and (iv) Text Messages with customers of wireless carriers on participating networks in Canada, Mexico, and Puerto Rico. International Text Messaging is 20¢ per message received and 25¢ per message sent. Premium Messaging programs not included. Messaging is available from within the National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area, and is not available throughout the Nationwide Rate and Coverage Area.
$.25 send and $.20 to receive

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nevermind. We worked out the twitter thing. It's really easy.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just email eachother via phone, its way faster and easier than using twitter. If you have a dumb phone then just send an MMS to her and have her reply the same way and you will get the email extension of your line.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
just email eachother via phone, its way faster and easier than using twitter. If you have a dumb phone then just send an MMS to her and have her reply the same way and you will get the email extension of your line.

Nah, she doesn't have a media plan for her phone. The twitter thing really isn't difficult. Just text to twitter 40404 start the message with D "username" then type your message. simple

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads