• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheap International Tailors

RichardH

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a reasonably well fitting tuxedo for my unis summer ball this year, due to my size (5'4, 100lb) I don't have a great amount of choice in the high street so in the past I have used Raja Fashions www.raja-fashions.com.

I had a friend enquire about the pricing for a cheap tuxedo when he saw Raja a few days ago who was given a quote of £400. My problem is I will probably only wear it a couple of times before the fit is unsuitable making it pretty expensive. Personally I think Rajas service is great and I haven't experienced any of the pushy service others have mentioned but I don't really want to pay $900 for a tuxedo and dress shirt.

Has anyone had much experience with the online Tai bespoke tailors?

Tom's Fashion had an advert in BA's High Life magazine which was very reasonable, something like a suit, two trousers and three shirts for ~$350. It seems very cheap to me which makes me question the quality of the fabric as well as how well made the suit will be.

Also any comments on other Tai/HK tailors would be great, some of the sites look pretty dodgy and are not too specific on fabrics used, and others also seem to show a suspicious number of different models. Again I am looking for something I will likely use a couple of times so I'm not looking for an excellent fit and to a certain degree the fabric being sub par would not be a huge problem.

If no one has tried the services and I decide to take the plunge I will make a follow up post to give people an idea of what you get from the Tai online tailors. I may end up giving Raja a call as he will usually drop his prices pretty easily if you haggle a bit.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you're happy with the work Raja has done for you, I'd go with them again before trying another tailor. They should be able to improve on that price, considerably. Also, if you think you may need some other clothes, like shirts or another suit, you could use that to talk them down on the price of the DJ.

I may get some flack for this, but you might want to ask them to make you a fused DJ. If you're only going to wear it a few times before it no longer fits, the longevity issue will be nearly irrelevant. I have a tropical wool suit that I bought from them, that is fused. This was before I knew better, but I think I paid 200 GBP for a two piece. The fit is pretty good--the suit gets me compliments, and it's in it's third year looking fine. Would I do it again? No. Did it work out okay? Yes.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only Thai tailor I have used was Ravi's - had an odd vest made. Was not done in person, it was using their order form. Turned out pretty good; no pictures yet but I will be wearing it most lilkely later on this week, will try to remember to get some pictures. Of course this is not as demanding as a full suit so I don't know. There are a number of threads dealing with Chan, Ravi, Raja et.c. Try searching for their names
smile.gif

alflauren

Reaction score
Ravi is pretty good. He will make exactly what you ask for, so make sure you're asking for the right thing. In my experience, the cloth that they've cut has been right down to the half-inch in accuracy. I have had him make some of my pants, and am happy with the result.

The one suit that I tried was okay; not too bad, not too good. The jacket is so-so, the pants were fine. I use the jacket as my emergency sport coat in the office.

Martinis at 8

Reaction score
If you are willing to travel, the tailor at the Sheraton Royal Orchid in Bangkok is pretty good. Sorry, I don't have the card, but I had him do some repairs and alterations for me, and the service was polite, quick, and sound. I did check out the stock of his store that was on display, and appeared of excellent craftsmanship. This included tuxedos. His shop is on the mezzanine level of the hotel.

You can e-mail the hotel for contact data.

M8

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads