• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheap hotel in Paris

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Hi all

First trip to Paris coming up in May, have a business trip to Toulouse, then will be staying in Paris for a week after that - and this part I have to pay for...

So, since the less we spend sleeping the more we can spend shopping and seeing, can anyone recommend me a decent cheaper 2 star style hotel in a convenient location?

Matt

jekv12

Reaction score
Matt, not sure how much two star places are these days, but the last time we went to Paris we decided to rent an apartment for a week - more room, a small kitchen with 'fridge to store some wine and cheese, etc. We rented from Paris Vacation Apartments, and wanted simple/inexpensive and got a studio in Montmarte, with a great view of Sacre Couer. It was great to go to the market for food, with the apartment we didn't have to eat out every night. The apartment was a 5 min walk from the Abbesses metro stop. The only minor disappointment was the bed - a kind of matress on the floor - but that was the only apartment available when we booked, and we went on a whim, with less than a week's notice. Service from Isis was excellent - she suggested local bistros, arranged taxis, made reservations at the Big Name restaurants at which we needed, er, wanted to eat...and just as important told us the places to avoid. She speaks flawless English.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would also second renting a studio or an apartment. Try Lodgis.com. There are many more (affordable) choices on that site compared to Paris vacation apartment, but the extras jekv 12 mentions will only be possible if you have a friendly owner. The second concern will be the arrondissement you wish to live in. If you need help figuring out the feel of a neighborhood, don't hesitate to ask.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While in Toulouse: get someone to recommend a restaurant where you can have a cassoulet. While in Paris, if you rent an apartment, you can buy what looks good to you at a traiteur, a fromager or a charcuterie, drop by the wine shop, and there's your dinner. A traiteur typically will have prepared dishes you can heat up like choucroute garnie, stews, quiches. The choices can be overwhelming.
tounge.gif

PHV

Reaction score
Matt, not sure how much two star places are these days, but the last time we went to Paris we decided to rent an apartment for a week - more room, a small kitchen with 'fridge to store some wine and cheese, etc. We rented from Paris Vacation Apartments, and wanted simple/inexpensive and got a studio  in Montmarte, with a great view of Sacre Couer. It was great to go to the market for food, with the apartment we didn't have to eat out every night. The apartment was a 5 min walk from the Abbesses metro stop. The only minor disappointment was the bed - a kind of matress on the floor - but that was the only apartment available when we booked, and we went on a whim, with less than a week's notice. Service from Isis was excellent - she suggested local bistros, arranged taxis, made reservations at the Big Name restaurants at which we needed, er, wanted to eat...and just as important told us the places to avoid. She speaks flawless English.
I don't know if I'd recommend staying in Montmartre if it's your first time in Paris. The walk up that hill is not pleasant late at night when you've been partying.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
renting an apartment is a nice option. i've done that in other european cities with good success. if you go the hotel route, my favorite is in the 6th near the luxembourg gardens. hotel sainte beuve. three star. friendly, stylish, convenient. sainte beuve

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PM me.  I'm not making this one public.

edit: oops, sorry I see you want 2 star. I know some really hip dumps that I very much enjoy. But I am a man of extremes so it's either the best (by which I am inevitably disappointed) or the worst (pleasantly surprised).

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
thanks guys for all the feedback here...will look into the apt option and see what i can see

moosio

Reaction score
Good points...

I myself will be in Paris next week, looking forward to it.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I highly recommend Hotel de Nevers in the 11th: http://www.hoteldenevers.com/ It's in a good neighborhood, easily accessible on foot or train, inexpensive, and friendly. The bathrooms are clean, showers have good water pressure and temperature. Plus they have a computer for guests to use freely in reception (to check styleforum, jk jk). The only thing is the beds can be hit or miss (don't stay there if you're an old man or have a tricky back) and the decor leaves a bit to be desired. And they have two friendly cats, so it's not for the allergic.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stayed at the three star Hotel Beaubourg last month and can recommend it. I think we paid about 115 euro/night.

jekv12

Reaction score
Thank you, Fabienne, for that link to Lodgis. Yes, going to the market streets is a joy - we visited a traiteur (didn't know that's what it was called) for dinner more than once - I recall a lovely terrine - and the local boulangerie and fromagerie were good too. Of course we eventually made the pilgrimage to Poillane and Barthelemy... A friend who vists Paris regulary recommends Axial Beaubourg in the 4th. But it too is a 3 star.

moosio

Reaction score
I highly recommend Hotel de Nevers in the 11th: http://www.hoteldenevers.com/ It's in a good neighborhood, easily accessible on foot or train, inexpensive, and friendly. The bathrooms are clean, showers have good water pressure and temperature. Plus they have a computer for guests to use freely in reception (to check styleforum, jk jk). The only thing is the beds can be hit or miss (don't stay there if you're an old man or have a tricky back) and the decor leaves a bit to be desired. And they have two friendly cats, so it's not for the allergic.
Man.. their website sure needs an overhaul. I'll pay them a vist next week, perhaps I can turn this a business trip. Their hotel looks friendly and economical. Good post.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
wow - dont check into general chat for a few days and were on to page 2. thanks guys for all the pointers.

moosio - let me know what you think of that place. i can live with rudimentary furnishings and its very cheap...

moosio

Reaction score
wow - dont check into general chat for a few days and were on to page 2.  thanks guys for all the pointers.

moosio - let me know what you think of that place. i can live with rudimentary furnishings and its very cheap...
I'm at the Hotel right now.

The rooms are really old, and showers and bathrooms are not standard.

But good for 32euro's a night... + it's in central paris.

Good find guys, except I have to leave tomarrow.. their booked solid

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads