1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap Hobbies?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rugger, Apr 17, 2011.

1. skywalker

skywalker Senior member

Learn to cook. You have to eat so you need to spend the money regardless.

+1.
    Cooking is a terrific hobby, and you'll hopefully appreciate the results.

2. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Well, Rugger, do any of these suggestions strike your fancy?

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Thrifting. I thrift once a week, and it's always an adventure. I'm a broke college student so it's fun to find pieces I can incorporate into my wardrobe, practice sewing on, give to friends, and trade with other thrifters.

+1

You are a member of a men's clothing forum so I presume you have some interest and knowledge in the area. It doesn't cost much to get started. You can upgrade your own wardrobe and sell good stuff which isn't your size for a profit.

4. celery

celery Senior member

Writing.

Maybe you can get published.

5. watchcollector2454

watchcollector2454 Senior member

6. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

+1, plus women love it when a guy cooks.

Agreed, I think my GF was on the fence about me until I cooked tenderloin for her.

All of my hobbies end up being expensive: Race cars (that was forseeable), Clothing, building furniture. Comparably I think i've spent less than my friends who are into watches, scotches, cigars, guns, motorcycles, ect.

7. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Stay away from vintage guitars [​IMG]

8. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

masturbation? theres billions of free pics and videos on the internet that range from typical nekkid wimmyn to the strangest fetish you can imagine....theres something for everyone. its cheap too...you already have internet connection....a bottle of jergens is like 2 bucks.....

thank me later.

9. Rummage

Rummage Active Member

Most sports are relatively cheap...basketball, golf, tennis.

buying and selling is also pretty fun...

10. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Learn to play a musical instrument. After reading this article, I am tempted to pick up the ukulele.

11. otc

otc Senior member

Learn to play a musical instrument. After reading this article, I am tempted to pick up the ukulele.

God damn

I was so ready to make fun of you with a snarky comment...and then I read the article and thought "hey that sounds like a good idea"

12. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

God damn

I was so ready to make fun of you with a snarky comment...and then I read the article and thought "hey that sounds like a good idea"

Shimabukuro played in nashville last year....mind blowing what that kid can do with one of those.

13. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

God damn

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

14. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Stay away from Vintage ukuleles [​IMG]

(They can easily run you 3-5 grand)

15. imschatz

imschatz Senior member

saw a few suggestions for MMORPG's .. but they can be crazy time consuming if you get heavily involved. I prefer RPG's (not online) as they have an actual end. You can finish the game which helps. The Elder Scrolls games are crazy fun.

16. Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean Senior member

Why do I recommend golf? Because if you play and you're semi-decent, you will get invited to go play golf. You will also play rounds at prestige courses. FOR FREE.

You will get the respect of your managers/higher-ups if they are playing with you and you may get that promotion faster. Playing golf is a great way to schmooze (really the only life skill one needs)

That's good advice. I don't play golf, but I think it is good to keep these additional benefits in mind. Try going for at least one hobby that has the potential to expand your social circle in a positive way. From that perspective, it should be clear why playing golf is better than playing MMORPGs.

Also, I support the idea of learning some useful skills. Languages and instruments come to mind.

17. Bane

Bane Active Member

MMORPGs thank me later!
    -1 If you value celibacy, have at it. +1 for cooking. You gotta eat. Eat well.

18. Big T

Big T Senior member

19. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I always assumed that the flute would be your favorite instrument.

20. robbie

robbie Senior member

junking/thrifting

I didn't really consider it a hobby until recently. I can't call myself a 'picker', but that is the principle I apply. If you see something you know is worth money selling for less than what its worth, buy it and pocket the difference.

I've made around 700$ on maybe 85-100$ worth of purchases.

Obviously there is no reason to spend that much, but you can find cameras for 3-4 bucks and often times the lenses alone on them are worth 30-40 on ebay.

I enjoy it personally because I get a lot more out of it than I have to put into it.

Reading is the least expensive hobby, most library cards require proof of a permanent address and nothing more. Also, just about every library has 'friends of the library sales' at least once or twice a year. They work sort of like a thrift store, people give their old books and music to the library to sell as a charitable donation. I've picked up tons of good stuff for DIRT cheap. I bought 9 boxes of national geographics ranging from the 30's to the 90's for a buck a box.

Reading through the classifieds/craigslist a person can make a killing too.

Again its how much time you are willing to spend, and judging from your OP it seems like you've got plenty of time to make an extra 50-60$ a week.

-rF