• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheap Fashion Rip-Off thread - H&M, Zara, etc

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Visited H&M today for the first time since joing the forum and was surprised at how much of the stock included items which were extremely similar to amoung others: Wings & Horns, Paul Smith, and SNS Herning. At first I was a bit taken aback at these ripoffs but at a 1/4 of the retial of the originals, i began to question why spend $150 for a W&H tiger fleece when there is a near identical piece (in appearance) for just $40. Ended up kopping a couple casual sweaters including one that reminded me of this:

Outside of the staples, jackets, nice knits, and shoes, I think ill come back to h&m for all the cheapie basics that typically cost $50

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should post a pic of the sweater.

When I buy W&H and SNS, I look for those 1 or 2 pieces from a collection that really stand out like the purple melange stark or the camo bush pants. I can't imagine finding anything at Zara that I would like as much. I would love to be proven wrong.

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because the selling point for brands like W+H and SNS, at least, are the quality of the garments, and H&M sells essentially disposable clothing. With the turnover rate in my wardrobe, though, I've thought many times that I should just buy everything from Uniqlo, H&M, and Zara instead...

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H&M copy just about everyone. Nigel Cabourn Cameraman anyone? http://www.hm.com/gb/product/06940?article=06940-A#shopOrigin=SA

I pik up the odd bit fro H&M - the quality sucks on much of their stuff, but some of it's not too bad. I like their £15 5 pocket chinos (I haven't got a tape measure out, but if they're not almost identical to APC's PS I'd be amazed.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

H&M copy just about everyone. Nigel Cabourn Cameraman anyone? http://www.hm.com/gb/product/06940?article=06940-A#shopOrigin=SA

I pik up the odd bit fro H&M - the quality sucks on much of their stuff, but some of it's not too bad. I like their £15 5 pocket chinos (I haven't got a tape measure out, but if they're not almost identical to APC's PS I'd be amazed.

Ha, saw the blue jacket in the Prague store. They also have a bunch of cheap vnecks and loose round neck t-shirts for about $8. My wardrobe is stocked with solid pieces however some of which only get worn a handful of times. I'm better off with a $30 Polk a dot shirt from h&m instead of $100 piece from our legacy or oliver Spencer

I'll post some pics later

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For cheap layering pieces like button-downs, t's, and basics I don't see why not. Don't know how they hold up in a wash though.

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never really thought the quality at H&M was worth the money, but I find their flannels usually aren't too bad and are good for camping/outdoor work. At least the fit in their stuff is relatively slim compared to the other throw-away go-to places like Old Navy etc.

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just kopped this h&m suit for a wedding for 100$.
I guess thats a win.

What color shoes would go? I came across a pair of dark brown leather vintage ferragamo derbies in my size for 150. worth it?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads