• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheap Entrepreneurs

oceans11

Reaction score
Is this feasible? I have a friend who wants to be & talks about being millionaire & is very intelligent & definitely has the business mind for it.

But the dude is sooooooo freakin cheap! He still lives at home & he's never had a "newer" car (forget new I'm just talking about newer) in his life. The guy has -0- bills & basically never has a want or need for anything. He loves gadgets & electronics but never buys anything. He loves cars & is definitely a gear head but like I said hasn't had a newer car in ages.

He really only needs a few hundred bucks a month to get totally by. He does the "Hustle" thing. Everything is about the "hustle."

I don't know maybe I'm from the old school but I believe you need a little "want" or "need" or bills in your life in order to keep you motivated. If all you need to get by is a few hundred bucks a month then why do you need to be a millionaire? If you don't need or care for the finer things in life what do you need to be a millionaire for?

confused.gif

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It sounds like there are things that he wants, but he's choosing to sacrifice in the short term. Willingness to sacrifice is a pretty useful trait for successful entrepreneurs.

oceans11

Reaction score
Good point!
Originally Posted by hopkins_student
It sounds like there are things that he wants, but he's choosing to sacrifice in the short term. Willingness to sacrifice is a pretty useful trait for successful entrepreneurs.

makushin

Reaction score
I think a lot of entrepreneurs and small business owners are cheap. One thing I've learned is that the people you think have money, are never the ones with money, and vice versa. You have to be able to save capital, and entrepreneurs are also responsible for a potentially rocky future with no pensions or anything, so there is more impetus to save. I used to be like your friend, and had more money in the bank than anyone I knew my age without a trustfund. Unfortunately I did some stupid ****, like buy a house, and my tastes got expensive, and now my overhead is too high.
eh.gif
When I make my next move I'm going low overhead again. On a related note, anyone know what the hell to do with money in this economy? I don't know what to invest in. Maybe it is better to just spend it.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oceans11

I don't know maybe I'm from the old school but I believe you need a little "want" or "need" or bills in your life in order to keep you motivated.

Um, no. That's what has cratered the economy. He's probably socking back 50% or more into savings or investments instead of having a negative savings rate like the rest of the country.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hopkins_student

Originally Posted by oceans11
Good point!

+1

The guy sounds like a variation of GQgeek. There are a lot of good things in that kind of philosophy. It generally pays off in the future.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd hate to have a friend like him. Cheap bastards.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of successful entrepreneurs have to be cheap. Whether bootstrapping or using $10 million round of investment, a lot of it is about knowing how to most efficiently use resources (money), and that means looking for value in any expenditure. That said, it also means knowing when to spend.

K

MLIW

Reaction score
Living cheaply is not something to be mocked. You could have all the money in the world and still live on some kind of humble budjet each month?

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Warren Buffet drives an '06 Toyota Camry IIRC.

Cavalier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
He used to drive old Volvo's ... until he got that Camry most likely. I wish I could spend less, but I certainly spend less then I could-- and I most certainly avoid incurring large bills. The ultra cheap tendencies you describe are actually very common to entrepreneurs... 8-5 office worker type are way more likely to be willing to incur debts knowing they have a full time job,etc.

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
Being cheap is fine, but at what age is it no longer ok to live with one's parents? (I ask this not knowing how old this fellow is, but I assume he is too old to be living with his folks from the OP's use of "still").

Asuming he has the ability to move out, and simply chooses not to do so, I wouldn't call that thriftiness....I'd call it mooching

oceans11

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Um, no. That's what has cratered the economy. He's probably socking back 50% or more into savings or investments instead of having a negative savings rate like the rest of the country.

Really? So as an entreprenuer we're all suppose to just sock all the money under our mattress. Live in a box, walk or ride a bike & then die? I'm not saying your idea is wrong I just don't see the enjoyment of becoming self made & having an abundance of money & not using it "once in a while".

I know this may sound marsupialed but IMO lavishness, abundance, opulence & overtop things like mansions, Lambo's, yachts, Rolex etc. etc. are here for a reason. Those companies are surviving somehow aren't they?

I mean, I do see your point & it appears the majority who responded back all have the same frame of mind or thinking but it just seems a bit boring. Make money......save it.....die.

oceans11

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
That said, it also means knowing when to spend.
K

I hear ya on that. He doesn't even like to spend for necessities for the business. I'm more of a person who, "If I've allocated the funds to purchase office equipement, programs etc, then you buy it." He's more, "I'll learn how to make it myself & save the money."

That's cool & great but I also believe time is one of the most valuable assets you can have & if it takes me an hour to go & "buy" what I need & it takes him a month to build what we need then there's a disjoint.

oceans11

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie

I know a lot of men arent' "car guys" but jeeeeeeeeez!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads