• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheap DE razor blades

EnglishGent

Reaction score
As part of my normal routine I just went to change the blade on my DE and somehow it appears that I failed to notice that I'm out of blades. I just ordered some more Merkur and Feather blades, but need a short term solution. Does anyone have any experience with cheaper store bought DE blades? If so should I get some or just go back to my old Mach 3?

huy

Reaction score
I have good experiences with Personnas that sell at Walmart. Pick them up for about $1.50 for 10.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
personally I like my from-the-supermarket Gillette blades better than the Merkur ones that came with the razor.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Drug store blades aren't as good as the Merkur, Derby, Feather, etc. but will do in a pinch until you get your order in. Cheap DE blades are still far better than M3.

EnglishGent

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I figured they'd be better the Mach 3 blades, but didn't want to get something that will tear my face up. Will stop somewhere on the way home to get some.

Reaction score
Obviously not a help to the OP but I nabbed 100 Derby blades for $16 on amazon.com.
Yes, I did.

EnglishGent

Reaction score
I normally use Feather on a daily basis and Merkur on the days when I'm in a hurry (too scared to use the super sharp feather quickly), how do Derby compare?

Reaction score
Derby is comfortably in between Merkur (which feels to me like shaving with the serrated edge of a soup can lid) and a Feather blade (light-sabre shave). I find them very comfortable and friendly. Probably my first choice in blades.

aizan

Reaction score
ditto on israeli personna. gives a smooth, close shave without irritation. merkur and gilette irritate my skin and tend to cause bloody nicks.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i only use feather.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here goes in order from most sharp to least sharp.

Feather, Swedish Gillette, Derby, Merkur, Israeli Personna.

Some may argue that the IP is actually sharper than Merkur, or equally as sharp, but since I don't care for either of those brand of blades, that debate is between whoever wants to argue it.

Reaction score
I agree with that but I'd put the IP as sharper than the Merkur.
I actually enjoy the shave an Israeli gives.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a YMMV thing ultimately. Can't say I'm a fan of the IP, but tons of people love them. Everyones' face is different though. For me, shaving perfection is achieved with a Derby. I even prefer them over Feather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads