• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: Castangia from SARTORIALE

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction is for a Castangia Suit or Sportcoat from SARTORIALE Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cheap DE razor blades

EnglishGent

Reaction score
As part of my normal routine I just went to change the blade on my DE and somehow it appears that I failed to notice that I'm out of blades. I just ordered some more Merkur and Feather blades, but need a short term solution. Does anyone have any experience with cheaper store bought DE blades? If so should I get some or just go back to my old Mach 3?

huy

Reaction score
I have good experiences with Personnas that sell at Walmart. Pick them up for about $1.50 for 10.

Reaction score
personally I like my from-the-supermarket Gillette blades better than the Merkur ones that came with the razor.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Drug store blades aren't as good as the Merkur, Derby, Feather, etc. but will do in a pinch until you get your order in. Cheap DE blades are still far better than M3.

EnglishGent

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I figured they'd be better the Mach 3 blades, but didn't want to get something that will tear my face up. Will stop somewhere on the way home to get some.

Reaction score
Obviously not a help to the OP but I nabbed 100 Derby blades for $16 on amazon.com.
Yes, I did.

EnglishGent

Reaction score
I normally use Feather on a daily basis and Merkur on the days when I'm in a hurry (too scared to use the super sharp feather quickly), how do Derby compare?

Reaction score
Derby is comfortably in between Merkur (which feels to me like shaving with the serrated edge of a soup can lid) and a Feather blade (light-sabre shave). I find them very comfortable and friendly. Probably my first choice in blades.

aizan

Reaction score
ditto on israeli personna. gives a smooth, close shave without irritation. merkur and gilette irritate my skin and tend to cause bloody nicks.

amerikajinda

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i only use feather.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here goes in order from most sharp to least sharp.

Feather, Swedish Gillette, Derby, Merkur, Israeli Personna.

Some may argue that the IP is actually sharper than Merkur, or equally as sharp, but since I don't care for either of those brand of blades, that debate is between whoever wants to argue it.

Reaction score
I agree with that but I'd put the IP as sharper than the Merkur.
I actually enjoy the shave an Israeli gives.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a YMMV thing ultimately. Can't say I'm a fan of the IP, but tons of people love them. Everyones' face is different though. For me, shaving perfection is achieved with a Derby. I even prefer them over Feather.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 29 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 140 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 263 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 16.0%
  • 31 - 40