• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheap Chic

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
+a billion

If you're paying retail for BR I feel down right sorry for you. With places like yoox.com, bluefly,com, B&S sub-forum, Sufu's supermarket, ebay, and other discount sites, you can get farrrrr better items for the same price, or less.

Precisely, much much better quality/style stuff can be had for the same if not slightly more so it's kind of stupid to pay more than bargain basement prices for **** fabrics/quality.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
What is a bohemian lifestyle and how can i live one?

Marry Socal.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
Sounds like Robert wants the GOP to run him for VP in 2012!

Ha ha, yeah. Besides the wardrobe, there could be an SNL gig in it.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Precisely, much much better quality/style stuff can be had for the same if not slightly more so it's kind of stupid to pay more than bargain basement prices for **** fabrics/quality.

Meh, I really don't have any problem with throwing away money.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet

OK, so its not the label then. If Target brings out a line of affordable menswear with quality like [insert your favorite expensive line of designer clothing here], you'll be all over it?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^Now you're starting to get it mate.

Cheaply made clothes are more expensive in the long run. If you haven't felt the good stuff there is a world of difference in materials, cut and fit.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hey, I just updated my Linked In profile and got a 25% off coupon for any purchase of $125 at BR between now and Dec. 7! All you have to do is go in, update your profile, and you get a discount coupon for in-store or a code for online.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet

I used to pay retail at BR 2-3 years ago. Haven't bought anything from there in over a year.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I haven't bought anything from there in over a week.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
^Now you're starting to get it mate.

OK, I can respect that. Of course, there's still a lot of subjectivity involved.

Oh, and a little more on-topic: I scored a nice 100% wool J-Crew jumper on eBay for under $6 today, for around-the-house wear. I'm happy!
laugh.gif

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Sorry, what's a jumper, Justin? All I can think is those corduroy skirts my sisters used to wear in grade school. Surely not?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
brits say jumper=pullover=sweater

aussies too i believe

Originally Posted by mkarim
I used to pay retail at BR 2-3 years ago. Haven't bought anything from there in over a year.

That's all I wore 10 years ago so I know everything about that ****.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
brits say jumper=pullover=sweater
aussies too i believe

Correct! In my excitement I lapsed back into Australian - I should have said sweater for the US readership.

At least I didn't say that I intend to wear my new jumper with my tracky daks and my thongs!
tounge.gif

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
OK, so its not the label then. If Target brings out a line of affordable menswear with quality like [insert your favorite expensive line of designer clothing here], you'll be all over it?

Hells yea. I think that's the major misconception a lot of newer members have. Sure, sometimes members will like designer pieces because they respect the designer's vision, aesthetic, career, but a lot of times it's because there is something with those pieces you can't find at the mall like fabrics, texture, fit, details, general aesthetic, feeling/emotion, etc...

I don't really like APCs all that much but here's an example: I'd rather pay $120(after discount) or $110(2nd hand price) for a pair of APC new cures or new standards and be 100% happy with fit, details, denim, color, quality, feel, aesthetic, than to pay $50 and get a pair of levis 511 that i may only like 75%. Same can go with sweaters. My Acne and YMC ones are pretty much perfect on me. I got them for good deals too and have a margiela in the mail. Much much happier with them than i would be with a jcrew/br one and not just because of the label. The label is simply a bonus because i can own a piece of a designer who i respect and whose work i really enjoy (in the case of my designer pieces)

Also, that burger i had yesterday was absolutely fantastic. So full i just wore non-designer basketball shorts afterwards

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Maybe to take a new direction here...

Can we name items we've picked up from "cheaper" places that we really like? Cheaper places meaning the obvious... Target, Old Navy, Gap, but even BR or J. Crew if you picked things up extremely cheaply from the clearance racks.

Believe it or not, I find my ON khakis great for everyday wear. Not something I'd wear to impress somebody but just for banging around town, they fit fine and are pretty sturdy. Plus I don't have to worry about beating them up, and so can save my better trousers for when I do need to look better.

I also picked up some BR polos late in the season around 15 bucks that look and fit great.

I also love paying only 30 bucks for some tumble rigid 514s. The fit is great and they fade great, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads