Cheap cedar hangers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, Jul 6, 2005.

1. demeis

demeis Senior member

2. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I have seen posts in this forum that claim that because of the texture of cedar as a softwood, it can snag and damage clothing. One fellow said that he had damaged the jacket of a W.W. Chan suit using one. Anybody care to amplify on this?

3. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

I snagged the pants on one of my suits (yes, a Chan) on a top of the line Woodlore contoured cedar hanger. The trouser bar was poorly finished and had a couple of splinters sticking out, which hooked into the pants when I was taking them off the hanger. Since then I have been buying hardwood hangers only. Or even plastic--I have a couple of plastic hangers with wide contoured shoulders that I like.

Cedar hangers or blocks will not keep moths or carpet beetles from getting to unenclosed clothing in a closet, so I see no real reason to get cedar hangers.

4. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I agree with retronotmetro. Plus, cedar is a little ugly. I do have cedar sockboxes and cedar shoetrees. There really is no good reason why I should've gotten the sockboxes in cedar but I think those were the only wooden ones that Container Store carried.

Cedar shoetrees on the other hand do seem to be useful since they absorb odor. Not that I have an odor problem -- really, I don't, I'm Chinese.

5. Walter

Walter Senior member

The pants should be hung by the bottom anyway with one of those clips.It does not really matter if it is wood or plastic.