• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheap, but aesthetically pleasing desktop radio for office? (e.g. Tivoli but cheaper)

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking for a radio for my office, that's small as to not take up so much space, but looks half-decent (not like plastic-spaceship-looking sony boomboxes), with an Aux In jack or iPod dock to hook my iPod up to.

I've always loved the Tivoli Model One, but it's quite expensive for just a desktop radio. Sound quality isn't as important as the volume will be quite low, and it will be split between listening to AM Sports Radio and my iPod.

Any suggestions? Would like to spend less than $70ish.

Thanks

datasupa

Reaction score
Tivoli model 1 can be had on ebay for about $80ish. Is $10 really an issue? Boston Acoustics Recepter is also quite nice but runs about the same price. I have both and they both sound terrific. The Boston Acoustics is a little more convenient with digital tuning instead of the manual dial on the Tivoli. I recommend going with one of these; the cost spread over the lifetime of the radio will be negligible and you will get a radio that will be a pleasure to use.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I liked the radio, I would look around at a few junk shops and get an old one. I love 80's electronics.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by datasupa
Tivoli model 1 can be had on ebay for about $80ish. Is $10 really an issue? Boston Acoustics Recepter is also quite nice but runs about the same price. I have both and they both sound terrific. The Boston Acoustics is a little more convenient with digital tuning instead of the manual dial on the Tivoli. I recommend going with one of these; the cost spread over the lifetime of the radio will be negligible and you will get a radio that will be a pleasure to use.

The cheapest Model One I've seen on Ebay is ~$90, but that's before shipping; shipping costs at least $20 from what I've seen.

Originally Posted by Arethusa
Winamp?

I'm wanting to listen to AM Radio, and don't want to stream it over company bandwidth.

Originally Posted by Reggs
If I liked the radio, I would look around at a few junk shops and get an old one. I love 80's electronics.

That's a pretty good idea, actually. Shall keep an eye out.

I think the iHome fits the bill quite nicely for me:
41LgumgEuFL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Target has something Tivoli-like that I saw on sale for $30 once.

Check Craigslist for something used and cheap.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads