• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cheap BoO (skinny preppy clothes) alternatives

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So everybody gets why some people love BoO. Considering the MOP buttons, small size of the company, quality, BoO of stuff seems to be very reasonably priced. HOWEVER, some people don't really give a **** about quality this, made in America that, or MOP this.

I just want nice-looking preppy clothes for skinny people that are cheap. ****** construction is OK. Think J. Crew/RL Rugby aesthetics with H&M fit. Other than getting the J. Crew or Rugby stuff tailored, are there any viable options?

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I stand by Uniqlo. I only own 3 pairs of Uniqlo clothes but I blindly bought two button downs from them in XS and I have worn them so many times! I'm planning to buy most my spring clothes from them because the XS fits me like its tailored to me.

dizzhizz

Reaction score
cheap monday has some button down shirts that fit somewhat similar to BoO and even has that box pleat stitching down the back.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ben Sherman? I often see their shirts go for around $45-$55 when on sale.
Retail is usually between $90-$110.

I guess ZARA is also a good suggestion.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
the boys section of any dept store: oxford shirts that are slim and fit your cheap/****** construction needs.

Most of the time the boys' stuff are cut boxy as well; what fit at chest/shoulder will likely be too short in the body, sleeves are too short, or neck too small.

Cheap alternatives that haven't been mentioned:

Urban Outfitters goods (BDG, Fink, All Son etc.)
United Colors of Benetton / Sisley
certain things at Target: Mossimo athletic fit tees, some casual shirts (branded "Utility" last I checked)

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Topman sell in the US now, and they've always been cheap yet "fashion forward"

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I wish i didn't have as many "cheap alternative" clothes as i do and just fewer items but that i'm close to 100% happy with. It's nice having a large wardrobe for mixing and matching, but there's stuff i just don't "need". I'm working on subsituting my quantity for quality. I think it'd be more wise to pick up 1 BoO on sale rather than 2-3 rugby shirts on impulse if that's what you really really want. Or a pair of common projects on sale rather than buying both spring courts and purcells. I've made this mistake already (and still do occasionally)

captainmo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
So everybody gets why some people love BoO. Considering the MOP buttons, small size of the company, quality, BoO of stuff seems to be very reasonably priced. HOWEVER, some people don't really give a **** about quality this, made in America that, or MOP this. I just want nice-looking preppy clothes for skinny people that are cheap. ****** construction is OK. Think J. Crew/RL Rugby aesthetics with H&M fit. Other than getting the J. Crew or Rugby stuff tailored, are there any viable options?
J crew does have some tailored stuff. I have a thermal, hoodie, and 2 long sleeve Ts that fit me slim. I'm 5' 9" 155 lbs, and wear a small in all of their stuff except polos. I've done most of my shopping there recently. You're pretty skinny though right? Your measurements would help, but judging from your waywt pics, you may have an especially difficult time finding slimmer stuff. Target has some slimmer cut items, especially their collabo pieces.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really need to try on a BoO shirt one day. Most RTW shirts I've seen assume that my neck size implies a much larger chest/shoulder measurement than I actually have, which means I must usually trade off between a shirt that fits well in the chest and one that doesn't place my neck in a choke hold. I have no idea if BoO fits my freaky proportions, but it's worth a try. Otherwise it's off to MTMland. And Converge, what have your results been like through that site in terms of materials, customer service, etc? I haven't heard of online MTM programs really delivering consistently, even Jantzen, which gets occasional praise here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads