1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap and low maintenance car that isn't a P.O.S?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by BlacKidLA, Dec 16, 2011.

1. billsayers

billsayers Senior member

The Hyundai Elantra is a good choice...suppose to be rock solid and a Consumer Reports Top Pick for two years in a row. However, I think the $13,500 asking price is a bit high, especially for a rental with 35k miles on it and since the newer Elantra model is already out. I am sure you can find one that was previously not a rental for around $11,500 if you look around.

Also, second the Fit recommendation if you need a basic car...it is fun to drive, pretty roomy for a small car and gets decent fuel economy.

I would stay away from Corolla and Camry. Not because they are not reliable but because they are overpriced for what they are; especially since Toyota's reputation for quality is not what it used to be. Those two models are boring as heck...all I see are old, middle-aged/older people driving them.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

They just changed the Elantra, and the newest one looks pretty good for a small car, very different from the previous model. Better than a Civic or a Corolla, probably.

3. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

The Veloster looks cool

4. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

I don't understand these posts. I have friends that have Civics in that year and they're flying. Admittedly 85k/5years is a lot of driving, but all the Civics I've encountered last. OP's in LA, so he doesn't have salt and stuff destroying his exterior -- just bumper damage from parking.

5. Kai

Kai Senior member

6. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

You can get some nice loaded out CPO Crown Victoria/Grand Marquise/Town Car with low miles for 15k mark. Still have warranty and fairly well option out for the price. Get good gas mileage for the size and engine. Reliable with proven history and parts are plentiful. Down side is they don't hold there value well...

~Kurt

7. BlacKidLA

BlacKidLA Senior member

I'll be leasing a new car. The question is.....

Mazda 3
    Ford Focus
    Kia Forte Koup

WHICH ONE?!

8. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

Leasing? Then what ever offers less up front, less monthly, and good fuel economy (probably comparable) would be top of the list. If the cars are similar equipment, then it's really just down on price and driving enjoyment.

But if it was me, I would probably look closely at the Kia and Ford. But leaning more toward the Focus.

~Kurt

9. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Great job man -- good choice. I'd go for the KIA.

Just spent the week with a rental focus.

If you at all enjoy driving, don't lease the focus. What a shit car.

10. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

Don't forget to check insurance, most likely not a problem with these cars. But still a good idea to check first.

~Kurt

11. BlacKidLA

BlacKidLA Senior member

Test driving all 3 next week.

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

the ford focus is so uncomfortable to sit in. i'm 5'10 and my head was hitting the roof in the back seat.

seriously, do yourself a favor and check out the honda fit. surprisingly room, good fuel economy, and fun to drive

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  13. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

veloster veloster veloster veloster

14. BlacKidLA

BlacKidLA Senior member

Test drove them all. Ordering my Veloster next week.

1 person likes this.
  15. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I was living in Seoul when the Veloster came out last summer - the flat glass top is stunning. The front end and taillight/bumper treatment... less so. Still, the glass roof is so interesting, it's possible to get over it. Definitely more interesting than what Japan is putting out in that category. I went to go see the Toyota 86 and the matching Subaru and they are both really uninspiring looking, like fast-food Z cars.

16. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

I've had a ton of problems with my MAZDA, been dealing with them for the last 2 years...mainly minor check engine lights. It was owned by FORD back then, so I'm swearing off both of them.

Personally, I say buy Honda or Toyota and don't look back. that's what I'm doing next.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  17. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I really liked the brand new Focus... I'm 6'2 and didn't feel uncomfortable in the passenger seat. Was the Titanium level trim with all the fancy gadgets. I was impressed with the interior treatments as well.

The veloster seems a little uninspiring to drive....

18. runner-guy

runner-guy Senior member

I used to drive a Scion tC and the thing was awesome. Drove it for 6 years and never had a single problem. Good power and really good gas mileage.

19. Wolfador

Wolfador Senior member

I had one for a year and I liked it. Just a bit small for me.