Cheap and low maintenance car that isn't a P.O.S?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by BlacKidLA, Dec 16, 2011.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

... but you've talked about your financial stituation on the forums in depth, down to the last dollar per month.... :confused: We were telling you from varying levels of experience that you don't want to go buy a $15,000 car on a $25,000/year salary, that is not gonna get you anywhere close a reasonable budget for transportation - you're talking about spending 50% of your take home pay on a used car when a real world car budget plus all of the ownership costs involved combined would be healthier under 10%. :confused:

2. BlacKidLA

BlacKidLA Senior member

But that was a few months ago. What if my salary changed? What if I hit the lotto? What if someone died and I was left with a good chunk of money? All I asked for was a fun car to drive for 15k.

3. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

How about you grow up? You asked for advice and people are giving it to you. Some are nicer than others, it's the internet take it like a man.

4. BlacKidLA

BlacKidLA Senior member

Ok.

5. impolyt_one

it's basic math man.

6. SField

SField Senior member

You make no sense. Trust fund? Are you fucking serious?

You gave us hard numbers. They don't add up. It's pretty simple, "bro."

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  7. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

The mods should really keep this thread alive as a reference for HS kids and recent college graduates who have a penchant for expensive automobiles. I took a personal interest in this thread, because I currently drive the cheapest, though a relatively new car, among my co-workers (2009 Toyota Yaris 4-dr). Using the Geico website, I switched the insurance premiums from my current car to a 2004 Mercedes CLK550. The sixth month premium increased from $900 to $1200 (caveats >30yo male with >1 million liability. Updating to umbrella policy this year).

1) LA insurance is probably in the ballpark range of NYC (e.g. $150-200/month, rather than Andrew's $75/month).

2) Assuming car payments (24 month time horizon as stated by OP) @ 2.9% = (16k principal) = $687 according to bankrate.com

3) Gas= $150/month as per OP

4) Maintenance=???

= $987/month for the privilege to drive, this assumes NO MAINTENANCE BUDGET and incorporates the lower estimates for insurance

Paycheck City calculator for California @ 25k/year= $782 x 2 = $1564/month --> 63% tax home pay alloted to vehicle
    @50k year (assuming a promotion or extra money)= $2859/month --> 35% tax home pay

Given the cost of housing in the LA area, I would seriously try to limit the car budget to about half the original estimate.

8. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Ironically, I wonder constitutes the cutoff between broke and not broke. I can't imagine spending $1800 out-of-pocket on a window. But maybe I'm just cheap.

9. SField

SField Senior member

I wasn't happy about it, but I knew that I was getting into something like that if I took on that type of a car. I'm sure it won't be the last thing.

10. BlacKidLA

BlacKidLA Senior member

Alright, fine. I give up. What is a good cheap car that has low maintenance but isn't a P.O.S.?

I can slug it around in a beater for a while until I can afford a nice sporty care comfortably.

THANKS FOR OPENING MY EYES ASSHOLES.

I guess my budget would be anything below $10k.

Thanks.

11. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Slightly used Honda Civic or Toyota Camry.

12. SField

SField Senior member

Or lease lika a Ford Fiesta or a Hyundai Accent. They aren't bad at all and great cars for someone like you.

13. impolyt_one

that was basically what I was saying above - all you had to do was split $15K by 2 and then unfortunately double that figure to account for his ungodly insurance rate, gas, parking, and then real life maintenance (for a late model MB, let's be realistic and say about $3000 a year (and this is 'reliable' unfortunately)) - that would take you up to $15K each year for the two years you'd pay for the car, and then $7-8K for subsequent years = $15 car is a $45K experience for 4 years.

Even simpler terms, using common sense - OP's salary is so close to the federal poverty line (ie foodstamps and benefits) that a Mercedes CLK500 doesn't really match with the picture. I am not deriding OP for his income level, I was once there at his age too probably - I just didn't expect to get out of college and get a late model Mercedes V8 coupe.

SField is right, OP would probably be better off financially if he could find the best deal he could on a B or C segment car lease. It'd bring his transport cost down to like, $20K for 36 months if it were a $200/month lease.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  14. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Drive a $5000 budget until you actually have money. Used car with 80k miles.
    Impressing women is moot, b/c you live at home. You're not fooling anyone.

15. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Wait, OP lives at home with his parents?

Jesus fucking Christ. What a shitty world it is where people value a car above personal responsibility and independence.

OP, piss off.